Find
Notify
Tools

cock on open conversion
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 45otto
posted
is there a 1917 springfield/p14 enfield cock on open conversion?

Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?

Posts: 439 | Location: Rosemount, MN | Registered: 07 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Yes,

Ed Lapour sells one, a very nice one.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 45otto
posted Hide Post
I found Dayton-Traister at brownells

Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?

Posts: 439 | Location: Rosemount, MN | Registered: 07 October 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
p1914 or m 1917 - both enfields , not a springfield .. and the 1903 and it's children are cock on open

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used the dayton kit with no problems. You do have to recut the cocking cam in the bolt, so it isn't a drop in. Lapour makes a nice one that is also a 3 position safety, I bought one just never got around to installing it yet. You can get just the dayton cocking piece so you can use a timney trigger instead to the dayton one.
Don

Posts: 1085 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What happened to the conversion that numrich/gun parts used to sell. it was a drop in . I think they called it a speed lock because the striker fall was shorter

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mousegun, the Numrich conversion was indeed a drop-in and also a speedlock, and that's why it's no longer offered. The striker fall on the unaltered assembly was far too short in many cases and resulted in hangfires. When you look closely at the bolt's cocking cam surface, you'll notice that it has a notch in it about halfway up. The only way to properly convert the 1914/17 Enfields is to alter this cocking cam surface to acquire a somewhat longer fall, either by welding up the top of the notch or cutting it wider at the bottom so that, upon cocking, the cocking piece is moved back the full distance.

My first high-powered rifle was a 1917 Enfield and I converted it to upcock without using an aftermarket cocking piece, simply by welding a new cocking cam surface on the bolt and reworking the cocking piece itself. The original safety still worked fine and I retained it. The instructions were included in the little booklet of mechanical drawings of gunsmithing projects & procedures we received when we attended out first class, and that booklet is long gone now! Anyway, I can assure you that the Enfield will need some attention to the cocking cam surface in order to convert it properly. Good luck, it's not rocket science.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
p1914 or m 1917 - both enfields , not a springfield .. and the 1903 and it's children are cock on open

Yes. Remington made the P14/M1917's.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
If you look up the Remington model 30 you will see it is the P17 in civilian configuration.
I am not sure who makes Brownells speed cock on opening kit but it works fine.

In over 30 years as a professional gunsmith I never once got up in the morning and didn't want to go to work.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I put a Numerich arms conversion on my P14 and got failure to fire. I took it off. Trigger pull was sweet though.

one of us
posted Hide Post
remington eddystone and winchester made the 1917s Smiler

Red

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
-Winston Churchill

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by papapaul:
I put a Numerich arms conversion on my P14 and got failure to fire. I took it off. Trigger pull was sweet though.

Sometimes the failure to fire can be eliminated or at least mitigated by ensuring that the striker nose protrudes at least 0.050" when fired. Some of the Numrich conversion cocking pieces weren't dimensioned to allow enough protrusion, especially with such a short striker fall.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I'll put it on and check the protrusion. I likes everything about the conversion except the fact that the rifle didn't fire.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Most opinion is against the cock on closing but there is a substantial minority that likes it and thinks the 1917 can be worked faster if it is left original.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote