New
Find
Notify
Tools

Painting a scope to match
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just a "night time" gunsmith here, so I thought I'd ask for some help/advice.

I have a Ruger 77 Mk II with the barrel and action in that companies' "Target Gray". I want to pain a scope to match that finish. I have seen in Brownells both the TAPCO and Aluma-Hyde paints.

The only one I saw with the "Ruger Target Gray" finish was the Aluma-Hyda, so was wondering how hard/easy it was to use and how durable it was. And does anyone know of another option (other than leaving the scope the way it is Big Grin )

I have seen guns and scopes painted with regular spray paints and the ones I've seen haven't help up to use.

Posts: 39 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 28 December 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
just a guess, but i wouldn't BAKE a scope ...
other than that, why not?

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39696 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used Brownells Aluma Hyde with good results.
I would recommend going over the scope with some 0000 steel wool to help adhesion and then wipe it down with actone to remove any oils, residue etc. When ordering the Aluma Hyde also order a clean out and extra spray nozzle as Aluma Hyde can clog the nozzle. After spraying make sure you have a place to put the scope to dry as
Aluma Hyde takes at least a week to dry properly. You can cut the drying time in half by moving warm air over the part. But again I wouldn't mount it for at least a week.
Good luck with your project.

posted Hide Post
You might email Leupold and ask who they use for refinishing. I've seen pics of there work and it is top notch in just about any color. Sorry I've lost their address.

posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info everyone.

Think I will give Spradlin's a call to see how much and how long before I do it myself.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
By the way, was gonna use the Aluma-Hyda II paint. It doesn't require baking. The Directions say to warm the part and paint to 90F. Was thinking of using a space heater and temp probe to warm everything up.