New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mexican Mauser Bolt
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I did a search for this question, and could not find an exact answer. I just picked up a 1910 Mexican Mauser receiver cheap along with a Yugo 48 bolt. Everything goes together nice and tight. What needs to be done to make the bolt work. I wil be replaceing the trigger and safety. thanks for the help

Posts: 276 | Location: MId-Michigan (back in the States) | Registered: 21 September 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
welcome to the forums..

check with your local smith, he should be able to headspace it, as is

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39708 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, when I searched there was a question about the cocking piec needing work and the bolt face being a bit to long? When I picked it up the smith ( at an extremly well known gunshop) said the bolt wouldn't work and that the 1910 was a cock on close 98 mauser. I just grinned, lol. Needles to say I don't use those guys anymore.

Posts: 276 | Location: MId-Michigan (back in the States) | Registered: 21 September 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
cock on close mauser 98?

too funny... there aint one!!

jeffe

476AR,

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the same thing as you, a 1910 action and a intermediate bolt from a mauser. Picked up odds and ends and am putting one together for my son.

When I am done you will not tell it from a mexican bolt.

The locking lug distance is the same on the mexican and yugo 48.
What is differnt is the amount from the front of the lugs to the bolt face. The mexican is shorter. You can take care of this one of two ways.

Remachine the front of the bolt back to the mexican dims. You also have to change the extractor out with a mexican extractor.

Or conterbore the breech of the barrel to accept the yugo bolt head. You also have to mill an extractor slot in the breech.

I will have mine done by December and can give you some maore insight after that.

Jim Wisner
Custom Metalsmith

Posts: 1484 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great! that would all help grearly. From what I heard a Mex extractor is next to impossible to find, so the counterbore and cut is probacly the best way to go for me. this is next years project anyway.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have two with the counterbore set up and the Yugo bolt in 7x57 and they work fine.
Bob

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Just curious; why would you go to the trouble to match the two? Is there something special about the Mex action over a Yugo assuming both need cleaning up to make pretty?

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Harry,
the yugo is a large ring small journel...the mexican is a small ring 98.. does it matter? only like a cup size... roflmao some like em one way, some like em the other...

there was a flod of mexican receivers at one time..with no bolts, which is why the works was done on it

jeff

476AR,

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I guess I didn't remember that. I'm a fan of small rings too but all of mine are '96s as you know.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
I arrived at the counterbore solution a while back too. I received 3 1910's and only one had the correct bolt.

I'd always heard that the 1910 made into a fine lightweight rifle. Well, imagine my surprise when it weighed it and a standard 98 and they were the same! Surprise, Surprise. Other than the posibility of a smaller, more graceful stock there doesn't on the surface appear to be much advantage after all.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There maybe no real weight advantage, but I always wanted one in 7x57. I maybe not be the sharpest tool in the shed, but when did intelligence ever play a role in a custom rifle LOL