Find
Notify
Tools

1936 Mex vs 96 Swede
 Login/Join

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted
What are the differences between the 1936 Mexican and the Swede?

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For one, the mex cocks on opening, whereas the swede cocks on closing.

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
A 3rd safety lug on the bolt and flanged safety shroud go in favor of the Mexican.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
the 36 is a 98, the swede, aint..

if you are wanting to know about stocking them, or bottom metal, its pretty close between them,

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
Good info. Ed Lapour's 3-position safety corrects the gas flange and the cock on opening issues.

So that leaves the 3rd locking lug?

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by new_guy:
Good info. Ed Lapour's 3-position safety corrects the gas flange and the cock on opening issues.

So that leaves the 3rd locking lug?

And additional gas venting. The 96's are nice but if you want a 98 get one. It'll cost less to buy a Mexican than to try and convert a 96 into one.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMO it all depends. The safety lug is OK but I wouldn't pay extra for it, plenty of respected actions don't have one; the gas flange is immaterial if you plan to have a 3-position safety because all the 3-positions already have the flange and so you get it anyway for free when you change.

Assuming equal heat treatment, the Mexican will be slightly stronger because of the internal C-ring and the rearward placement of the bolt lugs on the bolt. This slight extra strength is somewhat theoretical IMO because if the extra strength is ever needed then it's likely that something so catastrophic has happened that the whole thing's gonna be blown anyway.

I have 2 Swedes, 1 original and one sporter with PME 3-position bolt sleeve and modified 1909 bottom metal, both made by Mauser at Oberndorf in 1895. Mexicans are fine but I wouldn't trade either of my Swedes for one. AAMOF after due consideration I've decided that I wouldn't trade either of my Swedes for 2 Mexicans. Nothing at all against Mexicans, I just like Oberndorf Mausers.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
Small ring customs are so nice, but good Mexican actions are hard to come by. Good Swedes are in abundance right now.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
I have built rifles on several action types, even the Swedes. Couple months ago I picked up a '36 Mexican and havent been able to put it down.
I think I have the MEXICAN FLU! Wink
Maybe I just got bored with the others, and this one has hit a soft spot. It really isnt much diffrent then a L.R./98 Mauser. I was wanting to build a mid range rifle and it is filling that need for me just fine. Maybe the fact that it is just a little bit diffrent is what peaked my intrest in this project because I really didnt mean for it to take over the other projects that are only half done...but it has! The only challenge I have had with it was finding a stock pattern I liked, and I bumped into one at the Tulsa gunshow that Jim Bisio from Heritage Walnut happened to have. So, now that everything is in place I hope to keep this one going until its finished. Big Grin
It would be nice to have a half dozen stashed away because they are just right for the 257 Bob, and other calibers that fit in this circle of cartridges for a nice sporter rifle.
So is it better than the Swede...maybe/maybe not, but I'm haveing fun with my first one I've come across!

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't it be nice if a group of folks who like a certain type of action could go to a gunmaker and make an order. Say for example 100 people wanted a 1936 Mexican action, or maybe a G.33/40, and went to the gunmaker and said this is what we want, build them for us exactly like this.

This would be different than going to a gunmaker that makes custom actions on a one customer/one order basis. The gunmaker would have economies of scale (e.g. its cheaper to make 100 of the same part than it is to make 1 part) and therefore could sell them for much less that if it were a 1 off part. Additionally, the gunmaker would be assured of certain work for a certain period of time.

The benefits to the buyer would be getting exactly what they want, out of a modern steel, and without needing anything but very little further refinement (to suit individual tastes)afterwards.

I suppose a lot of folks would say that they wuoldn't want to spend the $1500 or so for such a custom action, but when you look at the cost of a Mex or a G.33/40 itself, and the cost of all of the refinements to make it a truly fine action deserving of a really nice stick of walnut, there doesn't seem to be that much of a difference, and again, one would be gettng modern steel.

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Given that the third lug is a nice thing to have, the left lug on the Swede is much longer than a 98 lug and the shear area of the primary lockup is greater. So while the third lug is a great back-up, the probability of shearing a Swede bolt (given proper heat treating) ought to be substantially less than a Mex. Or am I missing something?

Other than that, I love the cocking knob on the Mex and when I get around to my Swede custom I'm going to ask if he can make one for it when I do the 3-pos safety.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote