THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Problem w. rounds falling off the ejector of a 500

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Problem w. rounds falling off the ejector of a 500
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I posted a video on youtube. It's already gone back to S&W. They said they replaced the cylinder, but it didn't seem to fix the problem. It does the same thing w. the various brands I've tried, in the video, I'm using Hornady 300 gr. factory loads. The rounds fall off every time it's unloaded vertically.

Video of problem

And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Posts: 863 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
I don't know ANYONE who ejects 'live' rounds vertically. If I am going to abort a cylinder of live ammo, what I do is open the cylinder, lift the muzzle and dump them in my hand. Question is, how does it handle fired cases?

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
And this is a problem why?

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i've shot brad's 500 .. it slips over empties, too, and then its a PITA to get the spent cases out.

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Aglifter,

Your extractor looks to be working fine. The purpose of the extractor is to break the brass loose from the chamber, which it does. You should have the muzzle pointing up when extracting the brass so that when it breaks loose from the chamber it will fall out.

What is happening when the muzzle is pointed down is the chamber has a slight taper to it to prevent the brass from locking up, as you bring the cartridge up is is allowed to wobble due to the taper which will let the brass slip off the extractor.

Headache

Posts: 158 | Location: Danbury, CT 06810 USA | Registered: 25 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK -- well, if that's normal -- my other revolvers don't do that (And it does it w. spent brass as well), then I'll send it off for a moonclip conversion. I like the caliber, but I have a thing about brass coming out of a gun.

It doesn't have to be vertical to fall off the ejector -- it works OK if it's completely horizontal, but at other angles the brass can still fall (It was easier to film it vertically.)

And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Posts: 863 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would talk to Jack Huntington. He is one of the top revolver gurus in this country and has worked on lots of 500 Smiths. 530-268-6877 he's in the shop after 10am Pacific time.

Posts: 460 | Location: Auburn CA. | Registered: 25 March 2007Reply With Quote