New
Find
Notify
Tools

Removing 550 stock
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What are the steps tp properly removing the CZ 550 American stock?

The more people I get to know, the more I love my dog!

Posts: 117 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 26 June 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
remove all three actions and barrel screws..

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38662 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You're saying the barrell screw, and the two that hold the trigger guard? how about the crossbolts?
Thanks,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No need to touch the crossbolts. Just the three screws Jeffe mentioned.

It's then best to remove the bottom metal, mag follower, and mag box before pulling the barreled action though. Those things have a tendency to pop/fly out at the worst time.

Also, keep in mind, the barrel screw threads into a lug that rides freely in a dovetail groove on the barrel under the rear sight. It too can find its way onto the workbench and then onto the floor when you are paying attention.

Posts: 257 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 18 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
didn't you recently post about getting a new cz 550 in 375 mr julian? how do you like it?

Jeff

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Overall I think the jury is still out. I got it last November and had to send it back to CZ for a couple of problems... I was running out of vertical adjustment in the scope and it was still shooting low, and it had some serious feeding problems.

CZ fixed both issues and I have been fairly successful in getting it to shoot well. I can get the occasional 1MOA or better group with a load of 300gr Hornady RN interlocks over 75grs of Win760. The average is more like 1.75MOA. The 270gr SP's and 220gr FP's are not shooting good at all with multiple powders... groups on the order of 2-4MOA.

I am not sure, however, if it is the gun or me since this is my first big-medium bore and I'm sure my bench technique could use some work.

I recently picked up some 260gr Nosler Accubonds that I have yet to try through it.

Don't get me wrong, I am enjoying working/playing with it, and other than the shooting low problem, it has met the CZ description you will often see here on AR: a decent gun out of the box that needs some work to function right.

Would I buy it again? At this point yes... but typing this response has prompted me to think I need to post a few questions for the AR experts in the big bore forum.... is it me or is it the gun? Wink

Posts: 257 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 18 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I sent my CZ to Dennis Olson for his workover on the recommendation of others here who have had prior dealings with him. after a number of modifications, he'll bed the factory stock and send it back at the end of this week. I'll have it restocked next winter.

Dennis tells me he feels all the kinks were worked out of the rifle after he went through it. perhpas you should give him a call. you can reach him at 406.826.3790.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
After I had my Leoupold bore sited the gun shot about a foot low. I brought it up about 12 inches (50 yards) but still need it up another 3-4 inches. have not had a chance to really try it out. My recoil pad is breaking apart by the chunks. I am hopeing CZ will send me another one without having to send the entire gun in. I hope my scope has another 4-5 inches left. what was wrong with your gun to make it shoot so low?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
They never told me exactly what was done to fix it. The gunsmith that answers the phone at CZ was not the one who did the repair. It was sent to their custom shop to have the barrel "tuned". Maybe some of the gunsmiths here on AR can advise just what that means.

What you are describing is almost the exact problem I had. I highly recommend you send it back for them to address. You don't want your scope maxed out in one direction to obtain a zero. That is where a scope is the weakest in terms of dealing with recoil.

You know, the more you guys get me talking about this rifle, the less satisfied I get.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr J-

I sent you a response to your PM. Before you give up on the rifle, I encourage you to send it to Dennis Olson.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
mrJulian,
CZ told me they would replace my stock with one with better crossbolts since my bolt is rubbing the stock on the left side and the Hi-viz recoil pad hasstarted to crumble. also today at the range I tried the set trigger and it snapped. when I touched it again, it went off.I will send to a private message.