New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barrel on or off recrown
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
When you use a lathe to recrown a rifle barrel is this done with the barrel on the action or does it have to be removed? I have a pre 64 M70 in .270 that could maybe use a recrown job. I have got it from a 4 to 5 inch gun when I bought it down to less than 2 inches at 100 yds. I thought that I would have it recrowned an try to see if that might help a bit. I know my reloads could be better but I do have other guns that shoot a lot better than this one so I thought this might help a 50 year old rifle.

Posts: 215 | Location: BRF mid west WI. | Registered: 28 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is a bit off your question, I bought a crowning tool from Brownels with variuos size guides. I touch up all my "acquistions" with this tool, amazing how much off square some of the muzzles are. FWIW --- John303.

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
If the barreled action will fit through your headstock and you have a means to support the back end so it doesn't flop around, then leave it on, provided you can dial in the bore.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't have a lathe or any kind of skills to run one. I was wondering what is the correct way to recrown a rifle. With the barrel on or off the action. Or is there a best way. I don't want to use a hand tool.

Posts: 215 | Location: BRF mid west WI. | Registered: 28 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 257 Rock:
I don't have a lathe or any kind of skills to run one.

Then hire it done.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Westpac:
[Then hire it done.

Truer words are seldom spoken.

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the answers to my questions. Its all so clear to me now. Don't ask questions just hirea gunsmith. I wasn.t going to buy a lathe and then go to school to learn how to use it I am going to hire a gunsmith but was wondering if there was a proper way to go about recrowing a rifle.

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 257 Rock:
Thanks for the answers to my questions. Its all so clear to me now. Don't ask questions just hirea gunsmith. I wasn.t going to buy a lathe and then go to school to learn how to use it I am going to hire a gunsmith but was wondering if there was a proper way to go about recrowing a rifle.

Go re-read my first reply. How much clearer do you need it??? Was it not answered in a way that you can understand? You can crown a barrel in a lathe with or without the action attached. Either way is perfectly acceptable provided the setup is solid. The determining factor for me is whether the presence of the action prevents me from dialing in the bore. If it does, it's gone. Real simple. The gunsmith you hire to do the job should be able to determine which method will work best for him. Pick a gunsmith who knows what he's doing and you should be fine.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I will talk to a local gunsmith and see how he would tackle this little project. Was just looking for a heads up before talking to him. Westpac your first responce was very much what I wanted to know. Long frustrating day at work and I take out on the internet that on me . Sorry Again Thanks

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
to restate
a lathe cut crown is NORMALLY done barrel off the action. Some people may have a lathe that can take it on action ...

either way, you can mar the finish

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39590 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
either way, you can mar the finish

That's why you should always hire a professional!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've done it a buncha ways including lathe headstock, lathe tailstock, piloted hand tools and the old tried-&-true file-and-brass-lapping-ball method.

All will give good results if done properly, and therefore all are acceptable. Of course any lathe setup can mar the finish but all the methods mentioned have their own areas of concern and possible FUBARs.

The advice to hire it done is good advice, and IIWY I'd be trying to research the background and qualifications of my specific potential smith rather than the 'preferred' method. IMO any method will yield good results but ONLY IF done properly.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Either way is correct but you pull a barrel only if you need to to get the job done. You can open up a whole new can of worms by doing more than you need to to.

Posts: 460 | Location: Auburn CA. | Registered: 25 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I live about 45 minutes from you. Bring it down and I'll recrown if for you while you wait and you can take it back home with you... Or contact Jim See @ centershot rifles in Pittsville. He can do the job for you also without taking the barrel off.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1182 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Matt

With Deer season only a couple of weeks down the road and the rifle dialed in as best I can, I'll look a little harder into this in the next month or so after deer season.