THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Synthetic Stock for Springfield 1903?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Grandview,

If you are talking about the cutt-off lever itself being slightly different between the models that ain't a big deal as you can pick up a spare for about $5 bucks. I have a box of the damned things in my shop so if the one he has doesn't fit the inletting on his stock I'll send him one for free!

If the wood to metal fit around that lever is that tight it would be pretty difficult to operate it anyway.

Rick

Posts: 494 | Location: Valencia, CA | Registered: 22 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
WSJ,

The collar is a tight, tap on/press on fit with a retaining pin on the bottom front portion that fits a groove on the bottom of the barrel. There is also a longitudenal pin to keep it from rotating on the barrel but that doesn't really hold it on. If it's been on there a long time you may have to squirt some penatrating oil on the lengthwise pin before the collar will tap off.

I'm not aware of any difference in the cutt-off assemblies between the two...but I don't own any 03A3 actions so can't say for sure. As for tangs...allot of 03's have tangs that are shaped slightly different, even within the same manufacturer. I own four Remington 03's and all of them have slightly different shapes in the tang area.

Don't toss the collar...they sell for about $40 to $50 bucks (sometimes more) so you might be able to trade it off for something you need.

Good luck,

Rick

Posts: 494 | Location: Valencia, CA | Registered: 22 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yow! Too much information for an ignorant and reluctant do-it-yourselfer!

I'll start with trying to remove the collar and, if I get it off, see what fits where and how and then I'll re-read the later posts about cut-off levers and spindles and such. And hope fervently that it (they?) aren't an issue. We'll see . . . .

Thanks all for the information and advice. -WSJ

Posts: 300 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 03 January 2004Reply With Quote