New
Find
Notify
Tools

Case separation...303 brit SMLE #4
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Went out shooting today...not hot loads or anything but had a case separation on my sons favorite rifle.

It is a sporterized SMLE with a neon green camo stock that only a kid could love. Any suggestions on removing the remaining case from the chamber would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to all...

swede

Posts: 44 | Location: North Central ND | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
sounds like excessive headspace, which is very common in the #4
If You can find a new bolt head which can be traded for the one You have, it should fix you right up They come in 4 lenghths for just this reason. Get a longer one after you measuer how much headspace you have.
+.006" or less is good. More is bad.
Or, You can set the barrel back a thread, and re-headspace to +.003" I have done 4 of them in the past. I also live in Wyo. What town are You In?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would try a bronze bore brush maybe 35 cal. , something that goes into the case and then with a good swift pull she should come right out if not try a bigger brush but keep it dry don't use any oil .

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i've often wondered if one took a large tap, and a long handle, and turned it into the remaining brass, could you pull the case out.. or, perhaps, turn it in, then tap a cleaning rod from the barrel end

jeffe

Posts: 39708 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
Broken case extractor... Brass brush from the muzzle...

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If what 747 says does not work,try a #4 easyout.It will grab the neck and you can pull the case out.You will have to rig up some sort of extention to reach the chamber.Just push it in and when it stops,turn counterclockwise.Be sure and keep everthing stright.

one of us
Picture of Toolmaker
posted Hide Post
Here's one of my favorite methods for removing cases that have shorn the rim off.. After removing the bolt, get a can of Cryofreeze, squirt it into the chamber till it gets good and cold, then turn the barrel vertical(barrel up) and give the butt a sharp rap with the palm of your hand - The case should fall right out, and there is no way to harm the rifle. It works more often than not and I keep a can of this stuff in my shooting box for just this reason. You can get it from Radio Shack.

Toolmaker

Posts: 1000 | Location: in the shop as usual | Registered: 03 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Here's one of my favorite methods for removing cases that have shorn the rim off.. After removing the bolt, get a can of Cryofreeze, squirt it into the chamber till it gets good and cold, then turn the barrel vertical(barrel up) and give the butt a sharp rap with the palm of your hand - The case should fall right out, and there is no way to harm the rifle. It works more often than not and I keep a can of this stuff in my shooting box for just this reason. You can get it from Radio Shack.

Toolmaker

Now that is "cool". Really.

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toolmaker
posted Hide Post
Or if ya want a "hot" solution, try cerrosafe. Push a tight fitting patch up from the muzzle until it is just inside the neck of the case, then fill the case with melted cerrosafe. A WORD OF WARNING: don't screw around when using this method, Cerrosafe shrinks upon cooling, then it starts to expand. At 30 min. it is approx the size of the container and at an hour, it is exerting pressure on the container, making it a bitch to get out. Give it a minute or two after it visibly solidifies so you it's completely solid then push it out with cleaning rod. I like these two methods because they're one size, fits all....

Toolmaker

Posts: 1000 | Location: in the shop as usual | Registered: 03 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

It isn't headspace , the headspace is set by the rim. It is a long chamber. Don't size all the way
back. It shouldn't seperate with new brass. The action flexes enough that you can't just neck size.
Good Luck!

Posts: 217 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all who replied...appreciate the assist. My kids rifle...he was most upset...This should get it done. Thanks again.

swede

Posts: 44 | Location: North Central ND | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Depending on the chamber and the case, sometimes you can get the case out simply by removing the bolt and then standing the rifle up and rapping the buttstock against a concrete floor or a rock. This works best in rifles in which the chamber is well-polished.

Case head-separation may or may not be a sign of excessive headspace. If you load brass over and over, full-length resizing it every time, eventually any of it will give rise to head separation.

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I get progressively more desperate:

I try to catch the case mouth with the end of a cleaning rod.

I try to catch the case mouth with something screwed into the cleaning rod. I hit cleaning rod with a hammer.

Then I try the cleaning brush with bristles too long to change direction in the case. I hit the cleaning rod with a hammer.

Then I put a piece of Kleenex in the neck, and pour Cerosafe into the case. I hit the cleaning rod with a hammer.

Pull the barrel, chisel up the edge of case, twist and pull with needle nose pliers.

Put the barrel in the lathe and go in with drills and boring bars.

--
A society that teaches evolution as fact will breed a generation of atheists that will destroy the society. It is Darwinian.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of RifleDude
posted Hide Post
Buy a broken shell extractor, it's an absolute must for any 303 Enfield type rifle. It will happen again sometime, garanteed. Broken Shell Extractor Go here 303 goodies to learn more about the quirks of the 303 Enfield

Posts: 9 | Location: South of Alaska | Registered: 08 March 2004Reply With Quote