THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any reason to worry about this grain flow?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Should I be concerned about the grain flow in this stock in the wrist? I dont know what to think about the light colored grain on the left hand side of the stock in the action area?

one of us
posted Hide Post
To me, the grain appears to be straight and on a diagonal thru the wrist. Should be OK if the action is bedded properly. The light colored wood on the left side looks like it might be a shingle of sapwood that remained after shaping. Not a structural problem, but sure not in keeping with the rest of the stock grain and color.

Posts: 3704 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Glass bed it don't worry.

One could put a couple hidden cross bolts in if that would ease your mind

Posts: 19430 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
If it is a 458 WM: yes.
Anything else; no.
The place on the LH side is not sapwood; it is where the mineral stains did not form. Ignore that.
Do not use it for the Vertical Butt Stroke; look it up in your Infantry Manual. Do not use it for a brace when dropping into the prone position.
Just for info; what caliber is it?

Posts: 17173 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input guys. I have bedded the lug and tang, figured it couldn’t hurt.

And it’s a .270 dpcd

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
That is a beautiful piece of wood with decent layout. It appears to be somewhat rift sawn(a cross between quarter sawn and slab sawn).

I can tell that the light wood next to the action bothers you. That’s too bad as I think that it give the stock some character and somehow enhances the impressive contrast present in the rest of the stock.

You should post some full length pictures.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6836 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The spot doesn’t really bother me that much from and aesthetic stand point, I just wanted to make sure it wasn’t a structural issue

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would not be too concerned at this point inasmuch as the shaping etc is all but done..

I might add a couple of engraved cross bolts for piece of mind and I really believe in them and I like the look on any rifle as a matter of fact, They can save a stock from events other than shooting, such as dropped guns, guns flying out of trucks, getting waked on your horse..these things I have witnessed and Im sure others have to if they hunt enough..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41968 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
you said it was a 270? it's fine .. you can bed and decorate it with xbolts if you like, but not needed

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38601 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Got your camera handy? Best view for analysis is straight down on the wrist since the grain path on one side looks better than the other. Worth noting is - Falling down and hitting a rock with the butt is more concerning than the caliber expecially if you are 200 plus pound person. Stuff happens.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5172 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pics of wrist as suggested custombolt-

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
gorgeous stock -'=

and i repeat

quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
you said it was a 270? it's fine .. you can bed and decorate it with xbolts if you like, but not needed

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38601 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thats going to be beautiful once it's finished.
Hope you will post some finished pictures.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5958 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Nice picture. Looks good for the .270 even hot rodded. But, the left side grain is at a 35 degree angle at the action, prone to cracking if abused. Right side looks perfectly suited.

Posts: 5172 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Clyde Bakers book says" Put the butt up against a stump pull the trigger...you'll know soon enough if the wood is strong enough"

P.S. I never did that!

Posts: 3504 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Me neither DW.
Hah! Kinda reminds me of my Doctor. To test my heart he had me run on a treadmill uphill 'with resistance' for what seemed like forever to see if my heart showed any signs of failure.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well I got it back from checkering, hopefully it will hold up- Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle!
Thanks for sharing with us.

I'm glad to see the experts chime in so I can learn a bit more from them too.

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Daamn nice,,,,I'd not give a stock failue a second thought

Posts: 3504 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
Clyde Bakers book says" Put the butt up against a stump pull the trigger...you'll know soon enough if the wood is strong enough"

P.S. I never did that!

Hahaha!

Looks like a solid and beautiful piece of wood to me.

Made up into a nice rifle, too! tu2

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13472 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Clyde Baker was a complete idiot and nothing he says should be trusted, nor followed. Unless you want to break a stock.

Posts: 17173 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A lot of folks use Lead Sleds and find out that it is Not A Good Idea!

Hip

Posts: 1866 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep the lead sled is the quickest way to break a stock...use a 3" piece of foam in the butt..

I suspect your stock will be fine if you just shoot it and don't abuse and hell Ive seen perfectly laid out wood break for various reasons it seemed..it is what it is..do your shopping before your shaping..

nice guns, don't worry

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41968 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote