Find
Notify
Tools

Making Half-Reamers
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted
Can any of you guys post some pictures and maybe a little more detailed description of how these are made? Thanks-Rob

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
<G.Malmborg>
posted
Rob,

The half round reamer is made like any other reamer except instead of many flutes, you have 1 cutting edge which is supported by mass. It is a quick and easy way to produce a reamer without all the machine indexing and grinding of multi fluted reamers.

Picture a regular chamber reamer with only one cutting edge. You need to produce the half round reamer to mimick that.

Regards,

Malm

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Here you go Todd.  -

Posts: 8347 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
<KBGuns>
posted
With all the cutting force on one side does a half reamer put any great force on the pilot? This force does not adversely affect the rifling?

Kristofer

one of us
posted Hide Post
The way I make my half-reamers is to take drill rod just a little larger than base diameter, and 2 inches longer than chamber, and cut to exact size of chamber dimensions on lathe. I don't make a pilot on it, they will follow the bore when cutting, they have no choice! Just taper the end of the neck, if you want one, or take shoulder down smaller that bore size. Then take it to my milling machine and cut it exactly in half, leaving the 2 inch tail round for wrench. Cut a flat spot for wrench. It is then hardened and a small releaf cut behind the cutting edge with grinder. The edge is honed slightly just to clean up. These are used with a comercial throater or neck-throater. I have had great success with this method for my own use. I am not brave enough to use on customer's barrel.

Posts: 53 | Location: Meadow Lake, Sask., Canada | Registered: 21 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
This is exactly what I wanted to know- Thanks everybody!-Rob

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote