THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Best Jag: Acu-Pro "O-ring" or what???? (got a rusted bore!!)

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Jag: Acu-Pro "O-ring" or what???? (got a rusted bore!!)
 Login/Join

<Jordan>
posted
Gentlemen:

I have a sweet little Sako Riihimaki with a Marlin micro-groove barrel. The gun has rust in the bore. Not bad (as near as I can see), but it is there. I really do not want to use a bore brush unless nothing else will work. Can anyone suggest a good jag? What say you about the Acu-Pro o-ring jag? I tend to like the ones with the knurling on raised segments of the jag body. I'll hit this barrel hard with flitz and a patch jag and see how she goes. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Jordan

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jordan:
Gentlemen:

I have a sweet little Sako Riihimaki with a Marlin micro-groove barrel. The gun has rust in the bore. Not bad (as near as I can see), but it is there. I really do not want to use a bore brush unless nothing else will work. Can anyone suggest a good jag? What say you about the Acu-Pro o-ring jag? I tend to like the ones with the knurling on raised segments of the jag body. I'll hit this barrel hard with flitz and a patch jag and see how she goes. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Jordan

The accurpro with the O ring worked o.k. for me but for the size patchs I use, it was a little short and the patch would be between the o ring and bore....I have 4 different styles of jags and for the use you need I also like the raised sections with knurling to hold patchs in contact with the bore and get into the land/groove corner with thick double knapped patchs....the patchs seem to make the difference and vary according to the style and diameter of the jag.....for regular cleaning I use the pointed Sinclair type and get good results....good luck and good shooting..with a nice shinny clean bore!!!!

Posts: 687 | Location: Jackson/Tenn/Madison | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I actually like the brass ones from Kleenbore best - raised brass rings and a sharp barbed point to hold the patch - but the main thing is using the right size of patch to fit the jag and bore. Experiment.

Posts: 2272 | Location: PDR of Massachusetts | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
Jordan,

Why don't you use a bore brush? I use them in everything, all the time!

I suggest that you use a bore compound to remove as much rust as you can. Very light ones like Shooter Choice or Rem Clean will do some. Then there are heavier ones such as the old Stoegers X-Ring paste or Bore paste.

I use a patch with the compound on it wrapped around a bore brush that is small enough not to get stuck. In .224 that's not easy to get unless you have a very old worn brush and better yet a worn pistol brush or best a nylon brush.

You know what rust is like on body work. Unless you get it out of there it will keep rusting and the paint will bubble off.

<Don Krakenberger>
posted
I had an experience like that. Buy a bore mop and get it good a juicy with the best penetrating oil you can. Push the bore mop over the rusted area and unscrew the cleaning rod and leave the mop in your barrel over night. --Then attack with something gritty the next day. I think you will get good results. Ps--rotate your gun in the gun vice so the rusted spot is at the bottom (6 oclock) position for soaking. Make sure the barrel is level so the oil stays by the mop.

[This message has been edited by Don Krakenberger (edited 03-01-2002).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Buy the Tipton jag set from Cabela�s - its the best, and the package is the best too. No mixing and extremely small.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jhtml?id=0003651221822a&navAction=jump&navCount=0&indexId=&podId=0003651&catalogCode=IC&parentId=&parentType=

Good shooting! Hermann

------------------

Posts: 828 | Location: Europe | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote