New
Find
Notify
Tools

current 03 Turks
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
(I moved this from the Military forum for a bit more exposure.)

Has anyone purchased one of these currently being offered from Century? If so, I'm curious as to what you received, manufacturer, quality, pitting etc.

I'm looking for a couple of project actions and they're running a special right now, trouble is that with the Turks, you never really know what your getting.

Thanks in advance,

Dan

Posts: 179 | Location: Murfreesboro, TN | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Dan,
depends on what you want when you are done. The 1903 is a, as issued, ugly little beast. With some effort, they generally clean up fair. This is a small ring barrel, large ring action, intermediate length. The 30-06 is about the max length you can get into one.

if you want some low dollar projects, they are a fair starting point, if you are doing the work yourself...

but, if you want to do something "nice" then think that the trigger is X, safety is Y, gunsmithing to bring up to bearable is Z, blasting/polishing/etc is A...

generally this adds up to more than a commerical action, btw

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jeffe,

I am looking for some shade tree projects and since Century is running a 5 for $225 deal, It peaked my curiosity.

Looks like nobody has bought one recently.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the action itself a standard length but the bolt is different? I had thought the 03 would fit into a Model 98 gunstock.

Thanks,

Dan

Posts: 179 | Location: Murfreesboro, TN | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, the guard screw spacing is the same as the standard length 98. It has a longer receiver ring (to the rear) so it uses an intermediate bolt. It is a very odd combination. The triggerguard is odd, too. The hole spacing is standard 98, but, it has a shorter magazine box therefore a longer front tang so some glassing is required to fit it to a standard stock. Hope this helps. Rojelio

Posts: 495 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 13 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
I'vbe seen plenty. But, I haven't bought one because they are too ugly. Mostly, the issue I have is with the importer remarking the SN on the reciever. It makes the billboard on the CZ550 look like a work of art.

I can understand and even appreciate a low budget rifle but not an ugly one.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys,

That's exactly the info I was looking for.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Z1r--if I remember right, COL Townsend Whelen said "Only accurate rifles are interesting." Your quote probably won't displace his, but it sure is something to take to heart. But, an ugly rifle is far, far better than none at all.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
"But, an ugly rifle is far, far better than none at all."

Dustoffer,

Fortunately, we have not yet come to this stage yet in america. There are plenty of rifles even actions available at bargain basement prices that look good and can be built into good shooters. The point is moot though as you are assuming that these ugly Turks are good shooters. That has not been proven.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I have one that came through Century, but a couple of years ago. It was a scrubbed German action, possibly Mauser, in a simply gorgeous piece of walnut and rebarreled to 8X57, then packed into storage apparently without being fired, as the bore is perfect. Unfortunately, the bolt closes on a no-go gauge (haven't tried a field gauge), so I think if I shoot it it is going to be mostly a cast bullet rifle.
I would have worries about the heat-treating of the action if I were to use it for a rebuild.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16628 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know you are trying to keep your budget to a minimun but, I have a suggestion. For the cost of two boxes of factory ammo more, you could get a Yugo. Big-5 here in California has them on sale for around a hundred bucks once in a while. I am talking a new never issued '98 rifle. You time is worth something, why not get the real deal? The accessories are easiar to find for the "standard" '98s too.

If you have something like Big-5 in your area, try to use them. Make nice with the manager and look at the guns in the store room. Punch the bores and pick the best one. I got two minty Turks this way. "Minty Turk"... that just sounds weird. Anyway, the Yugo was new with all the accessories so picking the best was not necessary. They were all beautiful. If I was going to cut somwthing up I would be looking at the Yugo mausers. Later if skills warrent it consiter using previoulsy modified Pre-64 M-70s and such. Run of the mill modified mausers have little resale value. It is fun to do though. Have fun.

one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
I built a 308 truck rifle out of one a while ago. J+G had them 2 for a hundred bucks or so. Turned down a rem sporter barrel to fit,left the iron sights on it,,chopped the original stock to somewhat look like a sporter,,,found a rubber butt pad in the tool box,,slapped it on. Nothing pretty,,but a good 200yd deer rifle,,,weighs in a little over 6 lbs.Clay

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the comments guys,

The floorplate was the deal breaker, I'm doing the "silk purse from a sow's ear" type of project - glass bedding gaps in an exhibition stock is right out.

Jack walked me through my first rifle and now I'm hooked, just about to finish up this year's project so I started looking around for the next. The Turks caught my eye but I had never seen one, you guys saved me some $$$.

Scota, Thanks for the comments and you're correct, you can find some really nice Yugos out there now, I have a model 24/47 as my plinker. The problem with them is they are not true model 98s, being a hair shorter. You can get stocks inletted for them but can't get a hinged floorplate, they're all too long.

Thanks again,

Dan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is an August special right now.
quote:
Turkish Mauser Model 1903 Rifle, Cal. 8mm (8x57) - C&R

Used prominently by the Ottoman Empire, under the developments

of Germany, the 1903 Mauser was a well respected rifle in Europe

throughout W.W.I. Featuring out-standing durability, and a dependable

5-rd. fixed box magazine. With a barrel of 29â€, overall length of

49â€, the rifle weighs 9.2 pounds.

RI710-GC Condition: Good With Cracked Stock

Was: $79.87 Special: 5 for $175 -- No bayonet or accessories

I got 25 and they are the same thing that Century was selling 4/$100 shipped 5 years ago to C&Rs sans bayonett.

Half have slings.
10% have shinney grooves at the muzzle.
10% have lug set back
All have 70 years of grease and dirt, it take 4 hours to clean one, once I got fast.
80% of the stocks can be salvaged for an ugly sporter.

But the actions are great.
They areGerman Mauser from the Oberndorf factory.

If you have an FFL, that a German action to your door for $35. How can you go wrong?

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
tnekkcc,

shhhhhhhh!!!!

You're letting the cat out of the bag. Now, they will be gone before you know it.

Rojelio

PS I bought 10 of them.

Posts: 495 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 13 November 2003Reply With Quote