THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Best modelling clay/putty for bedding jobs? (updated)

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best modelling clay/putty for bedding jobs? (updated)
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Well, I found it. Hot glue! Just shoot into the cavities where you don't want the bedding compount, let set then cut away the excess.
Comes out easily enough and doesn't leave any residues, or crumble into bits that you are forever picking out of your action.

I'm wondering what the best modelling clay or putty to use for blocking up areas you don't want bedding material to get into.
I live an a rural area and can never find anything that really works well. The plasticine I get either doesn't harden, or shrinks and leaves gaps that epoxy can sneak into.

Any particular product work best?

Posts: 2286 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
I use the dollar store variety of kids oil clay. Comes in 4 colors in a little box for $1. Great for making farm animals too!

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1860 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the oil based modeling clay that I got a the Dollar store. Its the same as what gunmaker said comes if four colors. Its great to use while waiting for the bedding to set up, I don't make farm animals, practice making nude women. dancing
You might see if there is a sculpter in the area that works in bronze they use a oil base clay that works really well.

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1510 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Plumbers putty.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigster:
Plumbers putty.

+1

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used clay and putty's for years, worked well and was a pain to clean up.

I went to Toy's R' Us and bought 3 packs of Silly Putty. Works just as well and clean up is much easier.

Posts: 1688 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Recoil Rob:

I went to Toy's R' Us and bought 3 packs of Silly Putty. Works just as well and clean up is much easier.

+1 !

I think I have tried all of the suggestions above (and one more: wax) and the Silly Putty is the way to go. Lasts forever, and cleanup is WAY faster -- no unsightly residue left behind like the putty does. (I will admit that the residue in the holes, etc. is merely cosmetic though).

John

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use Devcon Steel Putty, and it mostly stays where I put it.

I did get a glob to move today, but that is the exception.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

What an excellent idea! The oil based putty is a pain in the ass to remove and clean up after.
Thank you

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6643 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yeah, but can you make farm animals with it?

Glenn

Posts: 254 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 02 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Play dough probably works just as good and unless it's changed over the years, when your done you can eat the crap. Big Grin

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote