THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    A long time ago and in a Gun Making Kingdom far across the sea. . . .

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A long time ago and in a Gun Making Kingdom far across the sea. . . .
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted
How would you use this tool?

Or one of these?

Thanks to Dustin Mounts for the opportunity to photograph these items.

Gunsmiths, please allow a few guesses before identifying, if you know?

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Item #1 is an early 19th century maxillary diastema positioning tool used by provincial gunsmiths in the Caqadas del Teide region.

Item #2 are a partial set of calipers commonly used to measure shaping of the distal phalanx after complicated metal machining on period steam powered equipment.

Any other questions for the home audience?? Big Grin

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Go to your room! Eeker

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
clap

No takers - I guess no one here is old enough to have the correct answer.

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Used for making plaster moldings.

Posts: 6481 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
I see templates cut (presumably) for the striking of barrels, but I haven't figured out what the other templates are for.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
The top one is a trigger pull gauge for matchlock rifles.
The bottom ones are early prototype hacksaw blade designs that just never really caught on. rotflmo
Timan

Posts: 1225 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am not a gunsmith but the bottom photo sort of looks like a set of barrel taper gauges.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 344 | Location: Bean Town in the worthless nut state | Registered: 23 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree, the bottom one looks like outside radius gauges, likely for use by someone draw filing a cylinder. Likely could be for barrels???

Posts: 254 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 20 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
not sure about #1 but #2 sure looks like some sort of nipple measuring gauge to me(not necessarily a gunsmithing one) Big Grin dancing hillbilly

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Might help if there was something in the photos to give an idea of size of tools.

Posts: 1688 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
damn, where is Tom Burgess? He's probably actually used these at some point Smiler

the ones on the bottom look like they may have something to do with fitting the barrel to the stock or maybe the sites to the barrel? hmm...

Red

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
-Winston Churchill

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The first picture is of a tool used to check the square of a set of barrels.
Demostrated here by Dustin.

Why the gap on the other side? In case your rifle has a "Dolls Head"!

The other pictures are indeed guages used in the building of shotguns and rifles. Each guage is set up for a particular firearm. Notches on the edge of the gauge gives rib width at specified distances from the breech.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I knew that.... Wink

Posts: 10362 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote