New
Find
Notify
Tools

New berrel on a Ruger No1, 500 or bigger
 Login/Join

posted
Helo

If I hade a Ruger No1.When I bay a new barrel,how big kaliber is No1 take care of. 45 are the biggest standard kaiber.Are the possible to build a: 500NE, Or bigger.

Posts: 22 | Location: Sweden/Sverige | Registered: 17 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
577 NE is about maximum due to small size of barrel shank.

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Yes, 500 NE is doable ..
iwll kick like a mule, but yes

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38612 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Macifej:
577 NE is about maximum due to small size of barrel shank.

Yes, that's true, also barely allows clearance of the rim when ejected, but only with modifications (flattened/rounded/recessed safety button on the tang).

Hamilton Bowen used to do 577NE Ruger No.1 conversions.
SSK makes up Ruger No1's for their 600/577 JDJ by necking up the 577NE to 600. Ought to be called a 577/600 NE by the British system.

A 500 A-Square works well with the Ruger No.1 extractor/ejector (I have one), as would a 500 Mbogo using a .416 Rigby Ruger No.1 with no modifications except rebarreling.

That long, rimmed ".510 Nitro Express" done by D'Arcy Echols and cohort was done in a Ruger No.1. That would be really sweet.

A Ruger No.1 in .458 WinMag or .458 Lott can be simply rechambered to 450 NE 3.25", and only requires a little work on the extractor to fit the rimmed case. Got one of those too. Very easy, and Hornady brass and ammo is becoming available for that now.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mr rigby
posted Hide Post
I also has a ruger nr 1 . 450 NE and its the simplest of them to convert into a NE round,. little material is needed to be removed to make it, and you can load from .458 win loads up to ca 2500 fps with the change of loads in the rifle. Plus in our "political correct nordic countrys" where .510 rifles is getting very difficult to get license on , and i have a feeling there will be even tighter on rounds above .416 in some years to come also the .458 is a vwey fine and cheap alternative to have to load and shoot for .

Posts: 1196 | Location: Kristiansand,Norway | Registered: 20 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a ruger number 1 in .577 NE, it has two mercury recoil reducers to add weight and as big a barrel as can be fitted on to also help tame the recoil. I load 650 grain bullets and recoil is quiet mild with the gun weighing in at 12 lbs 7 oz. I havent managed to try the 750's yet
Steve

Posts: 65 | Location: yarra valley Australia | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote