New
Find
Notify
Tools

Grinding in a Libsaver recoil pad
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Last time I did it I ran into some problems. Got it done (using a jig, the shape and fit was fine but finish wasn't as smooth as I would have liked. Spent considerable time finishing by hand. Any tricks the pros care to share to make the job easier?

One of Us
Picture of ShortandFat
posted Hide Post
Freeze it

regards
S&F

Posts: 463 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 26 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hhmag
posted Hide Post
A freezer and a bench belt sander are your best friends. This is how I do Pachy's, but I'm sure that LS should be similar.

Hair, not Air!
Rob Martin

Posts: 395 | Location: Florida's Fabulous East Coast | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
I hadn't had much luck getting them frozen and better... use a little coarser pad/disk/belt tham you normally would.

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AS strange as it sounds, going to a coarser grit does make the pad finish smoother. I think the finer grits slower cutting action causes you to push the pad into the sander with more and more force. Pushing harder deforms the pad material. The extra force deforms the pad causing chunking and the finished surface ends up looking anything other than straight. I've not had to freeze a pad since going to coarser grit. I do sometimes have to touch up with a finer grit when final shaping is completed.

Mike Ryan - Gunsmith

Posts: 352 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 31 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys I'll try the courser grit trick.

One of Us
Picture of GunCat
posted Hide Post
I agree with the “coarser is better ideaâ€. I’ve found an 80 grit belt (on my 6x48 belt sander) to work well on the softer pads. I think the more aggressive cut outweighs the grabbing, smearing action of the less aggressive or worn down grit. Keeping the belt (or disc) clean helps also

Steve Rose
----------
Rose Action Sports, LLC
www.roseactionsports.com

Posts: 189 | Location: Western Kentucky | Registered: 02 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
keep the belt clean and use a brand new sharp belt.

Posts: 415 | Location: no-central wisconsin | Registered: 21 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
And now for the number one trick, keep the pad wet with WD40 or Kerosene. In a pump bottle. It helps to have a powerful dust collector close to the disc and an explosion proof motor when using WD-40 or even Kerosene. Big Grin Seriously! Wear a good face mask and respirator.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Westpac:
And now for the number one trick, keep the pad wet with WD40 or Kerosene. In a pump bottle. It helps to have a powerful dust collector close to the disc and an explosion proof motor when using WD-40 or even Kerosene. Big Grin Seriously! Wear a good face mask and respirator.

I second Westpac. The WD40 works well for a better finish. Plain old tap water will work too. I'm not sure which is best.

The respirator is a must for me, too. When I first got started, I did a few pads without it. It took days to get that stuff out of my nose. I figured that can't be good for me in the long run. I take the same precaution when buffing metal on a wheel.

Mark Pursell

Posts: 545 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: 21 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are using a disc rather than a belt here's a thing that will help with the softer pads. One side of the disc is going up, the other side going down. Do all your cutting on the side that is travelling upwards. It will help preserve the lower edges of the pads.

stocker

Posts: 312 | Location: B.C., Canada | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been grinding recoil pads for years, but I have Limbsavers on a couple 300WMs, a 45Colt, and a 338WM that I did not grind but left over sized.

The reveal is covered up with cartridge carriers slipped on the butt.

This one with a pouch and a cheek pad is from Eagle industries, but there are many others available.

The way a recoil pad works, according to me, is to spread the rifle mometum's impact on the shoulder over area and time, so that the peak pressure is never high enough at any point on the skin to trigger the pain response in the nerves. The pad is a shock absorber [time], a pillow [fit], and a wide foot [area].

What does it all mean?
Leave it unground with more area on the shoulder and it works better to prevent pain [I figured this out independently].
If it looks bad or hangs up when shouldering, cover the crack with a cartridge carrier [The sniper community figured this out and I copied].

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote