New
Find
Notify
Tools

G & H Sidemount???
 Login/Join

<Arthur Olds>
posted
To follow-up a posting by Ray: have any of you used a G&H sidemount??? That is, do they still work as well as claimed in years gone by...I assume that Talley, et. al., lock up better (more likely to be aligned with the bore, etc.) and have less "flex" but...what is the consensus of opinion? Thank you for the suggestions...Arthur

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
They were the cat's meow in their day, but I can't imagine bolting one of those "truck bumpers" to a nice rifle today. So many better solutions are available.

[This message has been edited by ForrestB (edited 01-18-2002).]

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mbogo375
posted Hide Post
Arthur,

I have a couple, and they are very useable, although a bit bulky and heavy. They return to zero rather well (usually within an inch at 100 yards), and for shots within 250 yards or so I feel confident in their ability.

Many similar designs were made in Europe, and I am looking for a ring assembly to fit the factory supplied base on a Jeffery in 375 H&H that was built in 1952. If anyone has any suggestions along these lines please let me know.

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 21 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
The G&H on my rifle is about 30 years old, is a bit heavy, a bit bulky, and absolutely bomb-proof. I also have Talley's on a rifle and Leupold QD's on a rifle. Of the three, I think the Talley is the best looking, but that the Leupold is the best engineered in terms of strength, return to zero, and snag resistance.

Posts: 3818 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had one on a M70 375H&H (post 64) before the newer, more dependable detachables were around. The scope never had a problem returning to zero when removed and put back. I never really got use to the big ugly thing hanging on the side of my rifle though and ended up trading the rifle. I can't say that I miss it at all either.

Posts: 740 | Location: CT/AZ USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Properly set up and nor worn, the old G & H mounts work like a charm and will return to exact when properly mounted and kept within the near center or focal point of the scope..

they are the only mount that will leave the reciever clear when the scope is detached and give you a perfect iron sight picture...thats there beauty...

Lots of old stuff works as good today as it did yesteryear like the M-70 win., Mauser 98, L series Sakos and yours truly, well almost in the last instance.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41892 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Arizona Larry>
posted
The last time I checked, Griffin & Howe have a website and still make and mount the bases.
Bust out the checkbook.