New
Find
Notify
Tools

Renegade refinish
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am renewing a TC Renegade by refinishing a second hand stock and replacing the barrel with a Green Mountain tube. The Miles Gilbert kit from Midway seems to have everything I need to do the stock up right.

I am wondering about the metal parts that I am moving over from the old Renegade stock. Since I am new to refinishing guns, I am going to try doing the metal parts (trigger guard, etc.) in cold blue. The one piece I will not hit will be the lockplate/hammer assembly, as it is or appears to be case hardened. Any suggestions about cleaning it up or sprucing it up?

sputster

Posts: 760 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
You can use cold blue if you want but I hate cold blue. It' won't look good. It won't last. and if you're luck it won't rust too much after the fact. You may as well use baking lacquer and at least get a some what decent look. ether that or have it beed blasted and hot blued

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
clod blue STINKS... no, litterally.. go get some birchwood casey and try it out.

you can do a plum brown and boil it afterwards .. its a nice blue, really ...

or high temp mufflr paint .. just make certain to warm it up with a torch first

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39695 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If a guy's just gotta use cold blue, Brownell's Oxpho-Blue is about as good as it will get.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hm, many votes against cold blue. Well, I stand corrected. The Blue Wonder gun black kit that I have requires heating the metal. It states that I can use a propane torch, heat gun or hair dryer to heat the metal...would I be best going with the propane torch?

And back to my original question...as to the case hardened parts, just clean them up, leave as is, right?

sputster

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, just gently clean the color cased parts. Don't get too aggressive, some colors can be pretty easily removed.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good deal, thanks.

sputster