New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sights for a double rifle
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm sorta, kinda, about to begin the process of building a double rifle out of a shotgun as per several recent threads on this forum. I would like to get some candidate photos of appropriate 3-leaf rear sights and also front sights. I have some warthog ivory to play with on the front, but the correct shape and construction is not something I'm very familiar with. Anyone that could post good photos of sights on traditional 19th century doubles, esp, hammer doubles, would be greatly appreciated (or email photos to me at brentd@iastate.edu).

Because this gun will be lined, not resleeved in the traditional manner, how should the sights be attached to the rib? Soldering would seem to endanger the joining of the barrels and ribs.

Thanks for all advice.

Brent

When there is lead in the air, there is hope in my heart -- MWH ~1996

Posts: 2257 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Brent,
you'll need use more than 1 up 1 down,seriously... and that's considering the standing being at 50,and the folding at 100.

Here's a site for some rear sights
http://www.jeffsoutfitters.com/store.aspx?panel=1&categoryid=67

do you have ellis brown's book?

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeffe,
I figure three sights for 50 (standing), 100, 150. This will be for a bp cartridge loaded with bp and paper pathed bullets, so longer range will not be an issue in this case.

I have located many copies of the book, the problem is getting money to the selected dealer. That will happen today. However, I don't really expect that book to be all that useful. This rifle will use liners with eccentrics to regulate. I believe Brown's book will only discuss the more correct and traditional method of resleeving doubles. but I'll get the book for sure.

I would like to see photos of the sights of 19th century doubles to get a better picture of what they are supposed to look like. But the Jeff's Outfitter sights look pretty good to me as do New England's.

Brent

When there is lead in the air, there is hope in my heart -- MWH ~1996

Posts: 2257 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote