Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington Shiney Stock Question
 Login/Join

posted
What can be done to dull my Remington 700 BDL stock. Do you recommend scuffing it up or painting it???. This gun is for hunting and on sunny days it really shines. But at the same time i what the stock to look good . I really like the feel of wood over plastics. Has anyone done any work to the shiney stocks???. Did a search on the forum and only received information on fiberglass stocks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
OOOO steel wool.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Strip the shit and start over. That's what I do.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Remington M-700 BDL in 7mm Rem Mag that used to be like that! I think that it in the past caused me to "not" get a shot at some nice bucks!

I stripped off all of the finish "except" the checkering, I left that alone! NOTE: Some of the tung oil will get into the checkering, just blot it out with a clean rag, it won't hurt anything.
Once I got it sanded, then finished with steel wool, I wiped it all down clean!

Then I got some "satin finish Formby's Tung Oil" and followed the directions on the bottle!
In a nut-shell, just rub it in with the palm of your hand until your hand starts to get warm, then put a little more on in another area until the stock is completely oiled!
The first coat will dry within a few hours, then buff with fine steel wool and apply another coat!

I put either 5 or 6 coats on mine, that was 20 sumthin' years ago! Might do a touch up job on it this winter!

Chuck - Retired USAF- Life Member, NRA & NAHC

Posts: 454 | Location: Russell (way upstate), NY - USA | Registered: 11 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ohboy,

First of all, Welcome to the forum!

I have used Rottenstone - a mild abrasive - and felt pads to rub the shiny finish down to a matte finish. You can get both through www.brownells.com The epoxy finish used on the Rem and Brownings is very tough to remove. Just dull it and you still have a tough, durable finish.

Posts: 203 | Registered: 09 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of The Metalsmith
posted Hide Post
Wrap the whole thing in duct tape, that'll dull her up!

"Molotov Cocktails don't leave fingerprints"
-Dr. Ski

Posts: 579 | Location: Astoria, Oregon | Registered: 24 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for 0000 steel wool. Rub the stock with it, and you will get a nice stain finish.

The finish that Remington uses IS too shiny for my taste, but it does provide excellent weather protection. Get the best of both worlds by putting a nonglare satin finish on it with 0000 steel wool. It will look like a Rem 700 Classic stock finish.

It's a whole lot easier and faster than stripping off that finish. Remington's finish is tough. I seem to remember some advertising for it 20+ years ago that called it something like "RKW." It is something akin to a polymer resin. If I remember correctly, Rem said the finish was used to protect bowling ball pins-demonstrating how tough and durable the product is.

0000 steel wool. You'll have it done in about 20 minutes. No muss or fuss. Then you can throw bowling balls at your rifle to test it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Steel wool will dull the finish, though with time handling it will slowly make it shinier. IMO, dulling a plastic finish just makes the stock look like woodgrain Formica (yuck). Aesthetically, it should be stripped and refinished with a suitable matte or satin stock finishing product. However, if just wanting to knock down the shine of a hunting rifle, steel wool will do the job.

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote