New
Find
Notify
Tools

Deglazing Remington Finish
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have just purchased an Anniversary model Remington 700, it has a curly maple stock with nice burl. I want to reduce the finish to a satin. I have done this in the past with 0000 steel wool. Is there a better more professional way to accomplish this? I want a real nice satin finish on this one, although I have been fairly pleased with the 0000 buffing in the past. Thanks for any and all replys. When replying please include the type applicator also.

Posts: 370 | Location: Memphis, TN. U.S.A. | Registered: 24 July 2000Reply With Quote
<G.Malmborg>
posted
Tim in TN,

Regardless of whether you use steel wool, or you strip off the factory finish completely, you are going to have to start by removing the finish coat first. Since you have experience doing so, I would suggest using the 0000 steel wool first and see where that takes you. Once the gloss is nocked down, you may be able to buff it to the desired luster. After that, if you're not pleased with the appearance, then alternate plan "B" would indicate removing enough finish to the point where the pores remain filled, and then build a new hand rubbed finish on top of that.

Good luck,

Malm

one of us
posted Hide Post
Buff it to the desired lustre, With what??

Posts: 370 | Location: Memphis, TN. U.S.A. | Registered: 24 July 2000Reply With Quote
<G.Malmborg>
posted
With a light abrasive polish and a soft cloth...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the help.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Try Deluxing Compound. It's a soft paste wax with a fine abrasive. You can get it from woodworkering suppliers such as Garrett Wade. It works for me.

one of us
posted Hide Post
LeoCal, thanks for the usable information, I`ve been looking at the Brownell catalog to try to fill in the blanks G.Malmborg left.

<G.Malmborg>
posted
What blanks would those be there Tim? I thought you said you had done this before? What did you use?

Let's see if I can fill in some "blanks" and provide you with a bit more useful information.

Brownells 1-800-741-0015. Catalog page 217. Item 083-028-502, Five "F" Compound (light abrasive stock rubbing compound). Cost $7.26 plus freight.

Good luck,

Malm

[ 07-21-2003, 08:11: Message edited by: G.Malmborg ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
G.Malmborg, I have absolutly no experience with anything other than 0000 steel wool and am totally in the dark on any facts about what one should use in the way of light abrasive polish, I do thank you for an insight to how I might get the finish I am looking for. Brownells sells felt sheets to apply the compound, they also mention mixing with linseed oil, you could fill the back of my truck with the things I don`t know about stock refinishing, if the subject goes to pillar bedding a Remington 700, you might have to pull up a chair and listen for a while.

[ 07-21-2003, 21:52: Message edited by: Tim in TN ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Apply Dupont automotive rubbing compund with super fine steel wool. Keep it wet with extra water.

Posts: 813 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 02 November 2000Reply With Quote
<G.Malmborg>
posted
Tim,

What you are wanting to do is knocking off the high gloss to something less reflective and more pleasing to the eye. Using 0000 steel wool to rapidly remove the shine would probably be a good place to start, followed by polishing, or, buffing if you will, with a compound that contains a light abrasive like the above mentioned rubbing compound.

A light rubbing compund contains very fine abrasives which produce extemely fine scratches which produce a smooth, even finish that is more soft in appearance than what the 0000 steel wool can produce alone. You apply the compound to the stock via a soft pad (Felt, a old worn tee shirt, etc.) and rub, or polish the stock to the desired luster.

Professional stockmakers have their "own" ideas as to what it takes to produce the "master finish", but one thing I think they will all agree with, is that when trying to reduce the gloss from an existing finish, that you can do this one of two ways. 1) strip the finish completely from the stock and start from scratch, hand rubbing coat upon coat of finish, or 2), simply knock the gloss off the stock with a light abrasive of either steel wool or rubbing compound or both, and then try to salvage the remaining finish using polish and a soft cloth to produce the desired finish you want. IF number 2 doesn't produce the desired effect you are seeking, then simply continue stripping the finish off the stock and start from scratch.

I believe the logical sequence that is the least complicated or time consuming and therefore less frustrating, would be to do as mentioned above, Start with the 0000 steel wool, add polish, have a look and go from there. Quite frankly I believe pillar bedding a weapon is much faster and generally less painful to accomplish than finishing gun stocks.

Good luck,

Malm

one of us
posted Hide Post
G.Malmborg, thats what I call a very fine reply and I thank you much for the time required. I do have a final question, is the 5F compound mentioned a wet base or powder? LeoCal, I am going to call around to see if I can find the Deluxing Compound to try it on another project to see which I like best, thanks guys, scot, I go to NAPA a lot with my 17 yr old helping him fix up a 85 Renegade, I`ll check what is on thier shelf. This has given me a huge insight on how to handle the situatation.