New
Find
Notify
Tools

arisaka barrels
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
How difficult is it to rebarrel/chamber an old arisaka action to something a bit more common, say 257 Roberts or simlar?

Posts: 1317 | Location: eastern Iowa | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
<MC>
posted
Not much more difficult than any other rebarrel job except the thread is a metric pitch, can't remember of hand what the pitch is the type 38 and 99 are not the same pitch.

mc

one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
They look like hell, but are incredibly strong actions! They are a metric thread pitch. I can't remember exactly what, but will look it up.-Rob

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I got a model 99, that I paid $65 for, had a 4x Tasco, a sling, a box of Norma ammo, and a box of once fired Norma. Took it to the range only once, and it would put 3 shot's in less than an 1" at 100yds, it really pissed off the guy next to me with a Ruger 77 in 308, that was shooting 2 1/2" groups.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The reason I brought this up is, I have a rifle that I bought cheap also ($50). The guy I got it from claimed it was a 257 roberts. After I tore it apart and measured everything, it turned out to be a 6.5X57, which I learned was a pretty common conversion for the 6.5X50 arisaka, back in the day. It's had the barrel shortened, and it's mounted in a fairly nice Fajen stock. The thing shoots decent, but I got to thinking about the 257 Roberts idea, and thought maybe it's time for another project. So I was just wondering if there are any companies that make screw in barrels for this action, or if it's best to just get a blank and go from there. Thankyou gentlemen.

Posts: 1317 | Location: eastern Iowa | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are no screw in barrels for this action that I know of. If you really want to change it, a barrel blank is the way to go. If it was mine, I would stay with the 6.5 x 57, that's an interesting caliber. I had an Arisaka that had been redone as an english sporter in 6.5 x 54 by one of the english houses shortly after the war. It was a lot of fun. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If it is nice leave it in 6.5 x57 should do anything you want.

Posts: 19370 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would like to have a 6.5x57.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Slamfire>
posted
Most likely your Arisaka is a 6.5-.257 a wildcat that was quite popular for chambering Type 38s. The dimensional differences are minor, but the shoulder of the real 6.5x57 is farther from the base than that of the .257 based cartridge. This could cause a problem with headspace, it is certainly beyond field gauge dimensions. As far as loading goes there is no practical difference, and you ought to have similar performance to the 6.5x55 or .260.
On your rebarreling question, there was an outfit in KY that tried to offer barrels for the Type 38s but they cost too much for the value of the rifle. The breeching is nearly identical to the 98 Mauser, but it is all done in the barrel, not having the inner collar in the receiver ring. The rifle is just not worth the money involved.
If you find a shooter in 6.5x50SR a good conversion would be the .260. I did that to a carbine, and am well pleased.

[This message has been edited by Slamfire (edited 01-11-2002).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Type 38 redone into a 6.5X257 and it is outstanding.I believe the 6.5X57 would be ok also. You can resize the .257 Roberts brass or the 6.5X57 to shoot in it. I have a Type 99 rechambered in .300 Savage that I have used for a truck gun for years . It has a set of Lyman peep sights and has killed several coyotes over the years.

Posts: 200 | Location: Tin Top .Texas | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
These Jap actions have a metric barrel thread of course but the barrel thread is whats called a "bastard" metric thread a
M26x1.75 thread pitch. By the way this is the same thread pitch used on the Colt Saur
rifle.

------------------
NRA Life member

Posts: 8345 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Slamfire, this particular rifle is chambered for 6.5X57, I had the chamber cast, after it wouldn't shoot the 257 roberts ammo (seein' as how it was wobbling out the barrel). I had a mauser at one time that was 6.5X257 AI, it was a good shooter.

Bearclaw, thanks for the imfo. I have a gunsmith friend of mine looking into the blanks right now.

Thanks to rest of you for the info and opinions. Like I said, there is nothing wrong with the way this rifle shoots, I guess I just have that "post hunting season itch", to do something new, and get ready for next year. There hasn't been any snow here this year, so coyote season might not take up enough of my time Thanks again, good shootin' to all!

<Drumer>
posted
Should you decide to go ahead and remove that 6.5X57 barrel, I would give you a fair price for it. I always wanted to rechamber my Type 38 Jap to 6.5X57AI. Please e-mail me if you're interested. Thanks in advance.