New
Find
Notify
Tools

what is the barrel life of a 243win?
 Login/Join

<I Need Guns>
posted
I was just wundering becouse i am strongly considering geting one soon.

one of us
posted Hide Post
10,000 or more. It can vary widely, how fast do you shoot, how hot are your loads, what bullet do you use, ball powder or extruded, etc...

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Unless you are very wealthy and have nothing else to do, you won't wear that barrel out in your lifetime, nor the lifetime of any decendent of your's whose name you have an opportunity to know.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Slamfire>
posted
I got 37 years out of mine. I had it rebored when it refused to shoot bullets weighing less than 100 grains, with it's old accuracy.

<Don G>
posted
Slamfire,

Any estimate on number of rounds fired in that 37 years?

ING,

The throat will probably start to show appreciable wear by about 2000 rounds according to my younger brother's experience.

His shot dime-sized groups at 100 yards for many years. He does not reload, and does not practice all that much. When it would no longer hold 1.5 inches at 100 yards he counted the brass and boxes he had on hand -- came to about 2000 rounds over 23 years. I believe he shot premium factory 100 grain ammo, but don't remember the brand. This was a Rem Mod 7 with the original barrel. He has not yet rebarreled it, but I talked him out of trading it in. It is a sweet little rifle.

I suspect with moderate handloads you could double the number of rounds to 5000, but most want max velocity in a .243.

I do not know his cleaning practices or whether he used a bore guide. Many more barrels are "cleaned out" than shot out!

Don

<Slamfire>
posted
Several thousand, for sure. Used it on jacks, 'yotes and bunches of deer. And lots of practice. It'd still group the 100 grain loads in less than an inch, but the 80 grainers opened up to about 3". And I wanted somethin' to use on black bear and feral hogs, here in Tenn.