Find
Notify
Tools

Customs in the field......
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted
You guys have seen pictures of this rifle before but I always find it satisfying to see custom rifles being used as they were intended. For hunting.

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
I'm glad to see he's getting some use out of it.

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1861 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is that your rifle and deer Bill? I really like the wood grain and the lines on that stock. thumbHey, just realized it has fleur de lis chackering-is that SDHunter's rifle you made? Do you have any more pics of it?

Hell of a buck BTW too!!!

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
nice buck also nice to see custom guns hunted with instead of being showpieces

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

Posts: 1026 | Location: UPSTATE NY | Registered: 08 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
Marc,

Yep, thats SDHunters. I posted quite a few shots of it when it was completed. I dont want to bore everyone with repeat pics. I will email you some though if you want.

Gunmaker had a hand in this rifle as well.

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll do a search and find them-we'll save Saeed a little bandwidth. Good example of American Classic rifle.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice buck, very nice rifle bill
Good on ya !
...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is an incredible rifle! I was reading that thread and as soon as I saw that stock I scrolled right back up to see if there was any info on it. Needless to say I was pleased to see it was Bills work, great job.

Posts: 952 | Location: Mass | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of aleaddict
posted Hide Post
quote:
I always find it satisfying to see custom rifles being used as they were intended. For hunting.

Indeed. Beautiful rifle, beautiful deer.

That would make this thread a +2

Posts: 140 | Location: Southern Kalistan | Registered: 25 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
My custome at work:

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10136 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill, Mike, Nice rifles, nice game.

Ya'll done good.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My custom doin' what it was built for! dancing

[/IMG]

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Man if that first stock isn´t EXACTLY like the one I have on my 9.3x62 -all the way down to the red recoil pad!

Beautiful!

http://www.tgsafari.co.za

"What doesn´t kill you makes you stranger!"

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
My gosh, why would anyone hunt with a custom when you can use the PH's rifle! Big Grin

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
On a serious note... one of Mr. Davenport's .416's.

And one of his .375's!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hmmmmm .....

Funny thing how Sterling Davenport's rifles like living in Texas, and hunting in Africa Smiler

.416 Hoffman, Mauser LH action, November 2007:

Pardon the raindrops ... bit it cooled things off a bit!

Posts: 470 | Location: Mountains of Southern New Mexico | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the first rifle I ever built, gunsmithing school project at work in New Zealand.

I've taken 4 animals with it so far.
Steve

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post

Now that is a fine lookin' rifle in my eyes!

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cmfic1
posted Hide Post
Beautiful Rifle PostDriver.....
do you have more details on it for a fellow lefty?

Rod

--------------------------------
"A hunter should not choose the cal, cartridge, and bullet that will kill an animal when everything is right; rather, he should choose ones that will kill the most efficiently when everything goes wrong"
Bob Hagel

Posts: 977 | Location: Alberta, Canada. | Registered: 10 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is picture of my elephant and my 416/404 or 416 Howell which was made by Walt Sherman here in Tallahassee. Kudude

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boha
posted Hide Post
What fine rifles! This is what they all were built for, isn't it?

quote:
Originally posted by cewe:
Man if that first stock isn´t EXACTLY like the one I have on my 9.3x62 -all the way down to the red recoil pad!

Not exactly in the field, but the pic was taken during a recent beaver hunt (the gnawing kind, I'll have you know) in Sweden, Cewe's 9,3x62

My custom in the field, the game not all that dangerous, alas.

Posts: 493 | Location: Finland | Registered: 18 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some mighty fine rifles you have posted pictures of above.
They are all beauties, with great lines and workmanship.

Don

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Two of mine by Duane Wiebe, my 7x64 with one of the many American Pronghorn's it has taken, and my .458 Lott with one of the critters I have taken with it.

Dave

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3844 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can I squeeze my Hagn and little buck in here? The Martini-Hagn get hunted nearly every day. Fine, fine rifle if not plain by customs standards.

Josh

Posts: 304 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 01 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of aleaddict
posted Hide Post
Josh --

I appreciate that buck, and your Martini-Hagn.
IMHO, it doesn't have to be a high-dollar shooter to be included in this thread.

-- ale

Posts: 140 | Location: Southern Kalistan | Registered: 25 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
If someone can tell me where to find a "low-dollar" Martini please send me a PM Cool

Posts: 895 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: 13 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Here are a couple of photos that mean a lot to me...

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here are a couple of mine.

First 2 are my .270 built on a Brno Model 21 action.

Next one is a semi custom SS Mod 70 switch barrel (257 Weatherby/7mmRM/.338WM)with Accrabonded nice walnut stock.

My custom .416 Rigby made on a CZ action.

And a De Haas Miller single shot in 7x57 with Red stag.

Cheers.

GG

Posts: 500 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
And now for the non traditional....tupperware and stainless steel...

Remington 700 SA in a B&C fiberglass stock with a 23 inch heart 3# stanless bbl fluted with H&S detachble box magazine in...8.59 Galaxy (338 short action Lazzeroni)

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10136 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Prewar, I didn't mean to imply that anything that comes out of the Martini-Hagn shop is inexpensive, just that mine is probably the most plain rifle they have ever built.

Best money I have ever spent. It is just wonderful to be afield with such a quality rifle.

Josh

Posts: 304 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 01 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
My comment was directed more towards aleaddict. Your rifle is a beauty and something to be proud of for sure.

Posts: 895 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: 13 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of aleaddict
posted Hide Post
My bad... I should never have equated a "plain Jane" with an inexpensive build. I'm a HUGE fan of the Martini.

-- ale

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
GG375, yours is the nicest Aussie collection of rifles I've seen posted here. Tell us about the stockmakers please.

Also, those are great hunting photos. It makes me want to go to Australia in a bad way.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
Bill built this rifle , I dunno 6-7 years ago? Pre War Mod 70 Ser# 109 (2nd month production).

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1444 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ForrestB

Thanks. Yes they are nice rifles and I am pretty proud of them. The .270 built on the Mod 21 action has a stock made by Ross Waghorn. The switch barrel Mod 70's stock was finished by Ross. I sent a nice blank over to Mel Smart to be laminated and 90% shaped and inletted and Waghorn finished it for me. The CZ stock was made for me by a friend who is an amateur stockmaker - it too was finished by Ross and the de haas miller single shot stock was done by Gabe Gatti who would have to rate as one of the best stockmakers in the world today. He is in Cairns. I can post some more photos of my rifles if you like.

Cheers.

GG

Posts: 500 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
GG375,

I agree, great looking rifles. Please post some more photos!

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
AHR CZ 550 Magnum .458 Lott Six-Shooter in the Selous Game Reserve:

Some color close ups:

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13667 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here are some more photos of my .270 on the Brno mod 21 action -

Thanks

GG

one of us
posted Hide Post
De Haas Miller ss 7x57 -

Thanks.

GG