New
Find
Notify
Tools

500 S & W
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Has anyone out there considered or tried building or converting a model '86 or '71 into the 500 S&W?
What do you Think? Will this be the new monster lever action?
Do you think these or the 1895 can handle the PSI?
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
With the 500 being spec'd at 60k PSI it's going to take a stout lever gun. I thought someone was already making one too but I can't remember who it is. As far as I know, the '86 and '71 can't handle the pressure but I think the 95 would. Problem is that it would take a gob of work to get it to function out of the 95's magazine. You'd have to open it way up to accept the extra diameter of the 500 case.

Posts: 852 | Location: Austin | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wasn't Wild West Guns,, making up or producing their own lever in that caliber?

I remember reading some where they where going to make one, looking some thing like along the lines of the 336 Marlin

Stay Alert,Stay Alive
Niet geschoten is altijd mis

Hate of America is the defeat position of failed individuals and the failing state

Posts: 1529 | Location: Tidewater,Virginia | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies.
How does the PSI relate to cup? I thought I had read that the '71 could handle around 47K in cup and the newer '86 somewhat more.
I took a look at Wild West but they don't reference the 500 Smith.
I wondered about the 336 being a good choice since they use it for the 444 marlin but I don't know about the 500 sw since it is rated at such a high PSI. Is the 60, K for sure? I thought Lyman had it listed at 50K?
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes the 500 S&W is rated at 60K

Posts: 876 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
I have a Puma in .454 Casull which is a 65,00 psi cartridge. A Puma uses modern metallurgy in a replica of the 1892 action to handle this stout cartridge. I have as yet, not noticed any problems with this action (other than a split forend at 10 rounds). Why wouldn't that work with the .500 S&W ??? Puma also uses the action for the .480 Ruger, which of course is a lower pressure round.

Elite Archery and High Country dealer.

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info on the Puma. That is worth looking into. This is for a fellow I know who saw my 450 alaskan last year and now wants one with the same barrel contour but in the 500 smith. I think he will either have to go for the 50 Alaskan- I also offered to buy the barrel from him or buy a Puma and start there.
I wish the factories were more willing to give specs on the ability of the rifle to withstand specific pressure limits.
Frank

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Frank,
sit tight.. there's a "new" belted 500 pistol round that is coming out... and it will work fine in lever guns.

I didn't do this one, so don't blaime me..

mean while, a puma in 480 ruger should hold you over

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39708 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not for me Jeffe but thanks for the info.
We are looking into the puma now.
Frank

One of Us
Picture of the_captain
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
there's a "new" belted 500 pistol round that is coming out

What are you talking about jeffe?

==============================
"I'd love to be the one to disappoint you when I don't fall down" --Fred Durst

Posts: 759 | Location: St Cloud, MN | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote