New
Find
Notify
Tools

Model 1954 Mexican Mauser(30-06)
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I bought one of these yesterday from a guy at our gun club for $100.00cdn. I have a soft spot for Mausers and this one is already drilled and tapped, the bolt handle has been nicely re-done to accomodate a scope and it has a low Bueller safety. It has a Williams peep and military front sight.

When I got it home I discovered it has some features that distinquish it from the large-ring 98.

I shot it and everything works fine.

So, can anyone tell me anything about these rifles? Mainly with regards to safety, pressures, etc. Are they just a later version of the model 1910 or the model 1936 Mexican?

Posts: 407 | Location: Sechelt, B.C., Canada | Registered: 11 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one of those also that is original. I have never fired it. I have the same questions. Thanks for the posting.

Posts: 915 | Location: Breckenridge, TX, USA | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
<manhasset>
posted
After WWII, Mexico produced the 1954 model, cal. 30/06 with aperture rear sight on the receiver bridge similar to the 03/A3. Trigger guard stamped and stock was laminated,had knobbed cocking piece like the 03.Production stopped in 1955 due to the available semi-autos. Mex. national crest on rec. ring over date of mfg. Cal. 7.62mm over Mod. 54 on left side of rec ring. I would assume they are scarce due to the one year production. I have a few model 1936's, but never came across the 54.How's the quality- fit and finish?? Hope this helps, info. from Olson and Ball.
Bob

one of us
posted Hide Post
The rifle I bought has had the military stock sporterized. The metal finishing is blued with the exception of the bolt which is in the white. As you mentioned, the cocking piece is a la springfield knurled knob. After a bit of a struggle, I figured out how to dis-assemble the bolt. You unscrew the firing pin assembly from the bolt body the same as you would a large ring Mauser. Then things get a bit bas ackwards. The firing pin and the cocking piece are one unit. Instead of dis-assembling by pushing down on the bolt shroud and turning then removing the cocking piece, you turn the firing pin assembly so the tip is pointing up and the cocking piece is on the bench top. You then compress the firing spring by grasping its upper end and pushing down while at the same time sliding the upper section of the firing pin sideways. Once you have the spring off the firing pin, it's just a matter of sliding the bolt shroud off the pin. It's easier than it sounds.

The bottom metal is pure 98 but shorter and it doesn't have locking screws. The magazine opening length is 3.395 inches.

I'm going to re-stock this rifle. I think it will make a nice light sporter.

Posts: 407 | Location: Sechelt, B.C., Canada | Registered: 11 December 2001Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Mexican Mausers, particularly ones made in Mexico when the production was being supervised by German "tech-reps", are considered to have been among the best-quality small-ring M98's ever made. I had one in 7X57, and it was superb!! The one you have is probably even better!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 54 is a neat and rare Mauser that is a copy of the 1903 Springfield, to sporterize one is a shame as they are very collectable and very valuable...Has that neat 03 cocking piece that sets it apart for the rest or the Mausers.

But since this one is done then it is a fine action, it like the 1910 Styer and 1935 Mexican is a large ring short action, best for 308, 7x57 etc...

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41875 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<chris_m>
posted
quote:
and 1935 Mexican is a large ring short action, best for 308, 7x57 etc...

[/B]

I have to respectfully disagree with this statement. Unless you believe a G33/40 is a large ring action also as I am comparing a 1936 Mexican action I have too a G33/40 action I also have and the receiver ring is the same diameter on both.
Chris

[This message has been edited by chris_m (edited 04-11-2002).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray, thank you for your comments but I'll have to agree with Chris_M regarding the size of the receiver ring. It measures 1.3" dia as opposed to 1.4" on my other Mauser 98's. Also, there is no step in the left side wall of the 1954. Do these features make this a small-ring or is it somewhere in between?