New
Find
Notify
Tools

LOP...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm new to clay sports and have used a 525 for about a year. Every once in a while I take a good knock to my cheak from it. I've had the LOP changed to 15.5", but it still feels a bit short. When I put something of about 1/2" in thickness between my shoulder and the pad the lop feels a lot better. The question is, how do I know when my lop is too long? I'm 6' 4" and my smith was thinking that even with my height 15.5" was unheard of and so changing it to 16 - 16.25 in his mind is insane.

Is a 16" lop really that unheard of?

Posts: 543 | Location: Belmont, MI | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
by measurement I wear a 46 regular suit. And yet, some 48 regulars fit me perfectly, and some 44 regulars fit me perfectly.

I have a feeling that even the most expert of stockmakers and stock fitters would tell you that what feels good to you and what works good for you is far better for you than any so called rule of thumb when it comes to stock fitting.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
I am 6'4, too.. and require 15 3/8...

empty the gun, grip it normally, raise to your shoulder, then bring your arm down, with the back of your hand facing the ground, and your elbo bent 90 degrees... there should be SOME room between the pad and the bicep... not alot, but some.

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm no stock fitter, but correct LOP on a shotgun is more critical than on a rifle. Most shotgun stocks have a sloping comb, and the drop increases as you move toward the buttplate. The correct place for your cheek is the point on the comb at which the your eye is looking down the plane of the rib. Only at that position is the drop correct, and only a LOP that places your cheek at that point naturally is correct for you. The correct measurement is what it is. Don't worry about what the numbers say.

"There are only three kinds of people; those who can count, and those who can't."

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote