New
Find
Notify
Tools

416 in M98 ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone know whether a standard model 98 can be altered fit a shortened 416 Rigby case ?

Posts: 499 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 19 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
Yes, and it can even be altered to fit the full length .416 Rigby -- I've seen several.

However, the full length version requires removal of more steel from behind the bottom lug than many think wise, so I know of nobody doing this today.

If I recall correctly, you get (at best) a 1 + 2 shooter, and possibly a 1 + 1.

John

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
sure you can...
however, there's far better choices

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38612 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I cannot attest to the 'correctness' of this other than the fact that I own a Springfield Rem. 03 in a 416 Rem. Mag. caliber. As is typical the action has been modified but I'm a little suspect of using this rifle as I know of no one doing this on this action.

If you want to play with it let me know. Good deal to be made.

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Harry Selby wore the barrel out on his .416 Rigby built on a standard length Mauser 98 action. And his was only one of many turned out by British makers.

Still, I'd go with a magnum length action if I were building one.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13482 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback.

Would a Ruger Mk11 be a better option (cf M98) for such a conversion?

What are the options for a magazine box?

I'm thinking more along the lines of something like Jeffe's 500 AR cartridge or something similar to fit in a std length action. It would be kind of like a kingsize 35 Rem.

Joe

Posts: 499 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 19 June 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
I was trying to buy Jack Belk's 2.5" reamer and dies, for 284 and 416,several years ago. which might have turned some of my direction around...

the 416AR (shortened rum cases) is VERY easy, and not $3 cases.. the reason i went with the rigby case for the 500AR was soley for headspacing reasons

Con and Short&Fat are importing the 458 AR reamer for exactly this.

the long and short of it is that you don't need the extra space of the rigby case, especially when you take the extra costs of cases and feeding, if you are wanting 2400-2500 FPS with a 400gr pill.

might get with con and S&F i fyou might would like a 458 AR, which for me is cheaper to shoot anyway!

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38612 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeffe

Thanks. I agree the 458 AR would make a nice conversion but I'm already down the track on a 458WM. It will do all I need to do in a 458 cal. Besides I already have dies, cases etc etc.

I was considering the 500 AR or something similar as I am already using bullets and casting for a 50 cal. I'm really only looking for ballistics like the 500 BPE initially but would like the potential to load to higher spec.

Any thoughts on a mag box to suit a 500 AR or similar ?

Joe