<Kari>
posted
If you are interested in Finnish BR-tuote suppressors, look at this:
http://guns.connect.fi/rs/index.html

PS. It's in English, not Finnish...

<Don G>
posted
Kari,

One of the things that aggravates me here in the USA is that suppressors are very tightly controlled. The tax stamp to get one is a flat $200, and it involves a six month wait after filling out an ATF form and suffering an FBI investigation.

They were legal, and sold in the Sears mail-order catalog until the late 1930s.

To top it off, even after you get one, it is illegal to hunt with it in most states.

I wish we could use them. I spend my life saying "huh??"

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
Don,

The grass is allways greener. I do hunt with a shortened .243 and a moderator - you're really not missing much.

Sure it's quieter - sounds like an unsilenced 22lr firing a stinger. That's still loud enough for me to have to wear electronic ear defence when hunting.

To get this level of suppression means at least a 10" moderator. If you're going to carry a rifle as opposed to a polevault pole that means shortening to at least 20" if not 18" barrel with attendant velocity loss. Not least because you must ensure unburnt powder does not collect in the can, that means faster than normaly used powders (H322 in my 243 with 18" barrel and 80gr bullets)

What do you get in the end - an ugly, bad handling rifle with reduced velocity that's still loud enough to hurt your ears.

Does it make any difference to the deer - not the slightest. Here in the UK we don't have tags etc. When multiple shooting deer eg muntjac sound moderators make not the blindest bit of difference. The deer can never tell where an unsilenced shot came from and don't care about the noise. What makes them run is the reaction of the deer shot. Like as not they'll run nearer to you before stopping.

I wanted a moderator, got one and end up only using it when I have to. The only reason I have to is to shoot deer near to houses. Say 'huh' no more, you are missing absolutely nothing except the ability to find all this out for yourself!

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Don G>
posted

I use suppressed guns all the time. Many of my non-hunting friends have them. I would gladly take even a 6 dB sound reduction on a hunting rifle - if only I could use it for hunting.

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
Is that for your own ears?

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote