New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hex head receiver screws
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
McMaster Carr offers a wide variety of products and really great service.

The only downside is that they're unwilling to part with their catalog.

flaco

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote: (Rick)
If it is really that big of a problem for you just buy blank socket head screws from Brownells and turn whatever thread you want on them.

I don’t feel that I have any big problem at all. As far as my Enfield rifles are concerned, it seems clear to me that trying to obtain satisfactory socket head guard screws would be far more hassle and expense than it could possibly be worth. The rifles have functioned perfectly well for years with slot headed guard screws that just don’t look very pretty because they are slightly garked. The rifles are not going to increase dramatically in value, or suddenly start shooting far more accurately, just because the screws have been changed to socket head types.

Quote: (Rick)
You can get hex and torx machine screws in head styles that don’t require the deep counter sinks like caps heads do.

???????????

It would be quite possible to make screw heads of ANY style with SHALLOW hex or torx sockets, but this is certainly not a feature I would want for guard screws. (nor any others, if I could avoid it) Keys have got a nasty way of jumping out of shallow sockets, mangling things in the process, and what style the head is doesn’t make any difference to that. It’s a setup which is probably a lot more accident-prone than using simple, slot headed screws and a properly-fitting screwdriver.

The only types of screw head which suit the bottom metal of Enfields, and many other bolt actions as well, are shallow cheese heads or fillister heads. The heads of the original Enfield guard screws I have are just under 1/8in high, and those of any substitute screws couldn’t be made much higher without protruding. A hex or torx socket of any reasonable depth in a head as thin as this would have to be pretty small in cross-section, or there would be hardly any metal left joining the head to the shank! Not a good feature for guard screws, in my opinion. Who would like to try removing a 1/4in dia. guard screw with a 3/32in or 1/8in Allen key when it had become stuck tight, due to rust getting in, the stock swelling, or whatever?

I can’t get away from the feeling that while socket heads might be quite appropriate on guard screws for some types of rifles, they are probably not for all.

I’ve just had a look at listings of fasteners on the web sites of McMaster Carr and a few other US suppliers. It seems to me suggestions that between they have ‘every sort of fastener you could want’ (or words to that effect) are somewhat exaggerated. Good ranges of standard American stuff there, yes, but most of the odd threads one finds on rifles and scope mounts are noticeably absent. Generally only a limited range of metric ISO Coarse fasteners listed, and practically nothing in ISO Fine.

Posts: 160 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 26 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try J&L Industrial supply.
Good Luck!

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brownell’s sells blank hex drive action screws in ¼ inch diameter and they also sell dies in ¼-22, ¼-25, and ¼-30. That will cover Mausers, Springfield/Krag, and Enfield.

Forster makes brand new slotted drive action screws for all these rifles also. They even have a shorter Enfield set for the straightend guard.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote