New
Find
Notify
Tools

Floorplate Opening when Fireing?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just finished a 7mm-08 Build and when I went to the range I found that the floorplate opens when I fire it. I put some tape on the release and it stopped. I am pretty sure that my trigger finger is hitting it as I have a loose hold when shooting from the bench.

What can I do to stop this? I figured that I could file down the button but I like to current shape and would like to keep it if I can.

Posts: 694 | Location: Santa Ynez Valley, Ca | Registered: 14 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had that happen. It turned out there was insufficient engagement of the floorplate with the latch and the angle on the floorplate lip where it engaged increased the chance of slipping. Used a new floor plate to fix. If your fit is good you may need a stronger release spring. It should not be easy to release the plate and would seem to take a good bit of recoil to have your finger hit the release button sufficiently hard to cause it to release and I just don't see a 7-08 doing it unless the spring is really weak.

Jerry Liles

Posts: 531 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stiffer spring.

Posts: 427 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 May 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What part of your trigger finger do you touch to the trigger? Is it the pad of the first joint, the joint between the 1st and 2nd, or the second joint pad? You should only have the pad of the first joint of your index finger on the trigger. Also check the interface of the floorplate catch and floorplate to see if there is too much tolerance.

Posts: 3788 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The floorplate is a new PTG Oberndorf (Link to PTG Page) , it locks up securly but it does not take much force to open it. Maybe a weak spring. I will send PTG an e mail and see if they have a stiffer spring.

Posts: 694 | Location: Santa Ynez Valley, Ca | Registered: 14 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by setters5:
Stiffer spring.

+1 on the spring being to week. my 338/06 did the same thing. I cut a spring from a ball point pen the same length and then threaded the two together to make "one" spring.

Works perfect now; both for opening and staying closed.

Posts: 1464 | Location: Southwestern Idaho, USA!!!! | Registered: 29 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Common issue with some guards, especially those cheap ones from sarco and gpc. I usually end up pulling the floorplate and putting a little weld bead on the engaging surface and then refitting it to the latch. The spring too could be an issue. But check to see how far the latch needs to be pressed before opening, if if it is only halfway or so the floorplate is usually the issue. I quick fix is a stiffer spring but to insure it doesn't ever happen again the plate's latch needs to be longer.
Don

Posts: 1085 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would also check the wood to metal fit. If the trigger guard is a little below flush with the wood, it may not be allowing the floorplate to get a true purchase on the latch, even though you think it is solid. Don't ask me how I know. Smiler

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's a little trick I use on all of my big-bores. Remove the floor-plate latch, then drill and tap the spring hole for an 8-32 set screw. Drill clear through the bottom of the spring hole starting from the floor-plate side, tap for the set screw,put the spring and latch back together, then screw in the set screw with a little Loctite until you have the tension you want. It's quicker, at least for me, than trying a bunch of different springs and having to take it all apart for each one you try. You can even lock the latch down so it doesn't come open at all if you want. The pictures are of a GMA bottom metal. Make the set screw a little smaller than the spring hole. This one happens to be an 8-32.

Posts: 1253 | Location: Montana | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The answer is obvious in your picture--

it says Remington on the action-

What do you expect?

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the responses.

Bitteroot, I really like that idea. I will give that a try. Thanks

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
It's an alignment issue, as i assume it worked prior. There is either pressure from the screws being turned into the stock and not aligning the bottom properly OR there is pressure on the floor plate from contact with the stock

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check that, how far does the lever move before opening in and out of the stock? If the bedding is right it should be the same.
Don

Posts: 1085 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I think that I need to provide a little more info. It is new PTG One Piece Bottom Metal, that has been pillar bedded in place and is not being sprung. I do not think that it is an alignment issue because if I tape the button/lever in place it no longer opens on recoil. The spring pressure is really weak. I think that it is a light spring. I am going to try the set screw idea this weekend when I have some time to work on it.

Thanks for the help

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Set Screw worked like a champ! Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glad it worked; I'll send you the bill. Smiler

Posts: 1253 | Location: Montana | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote