New
Find
Notify
Tools

Badly rusted revolver--need advice
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've been laid up four years and today finally got a box of guns out. A fine K-38 was in a nylon holster and has a coat of rust 1/16" thick on the barrel and underlug. Cylinder isn't as bad but, it won't open.

Any advice on how to save the gun? I know it's going to have pits on the finish, I can live with that as long as it works again.

Sure would appreciate some advice on getting started.

Hell of a deal, there were four revolvers in this box, the others were in leather holsters and not a one has even a spot on it. Just this one in the nylon.

Thank you,
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would use kroils penetrating oil, I believe automatic transmission oil and acetone mix was mentioned on here.

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1511 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello. I tried a thing called Evapo-Rust on some badly rusted Lyman moulds.

I was quite amazed that it removed all the rust, including the deep seated rust, yet did not harm the actual good metal at all.

Although it did, and is advised as such, that it will remove the blue. About a six to eight hour immersion will remove the rust.

It's a USA product so I doubt you'd have difficulty in obtaining this yellow coloured liquid. And you can stick you hands in it with no ill effect.

Posts: 6821 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you seem more concerned with function than cosmetics.I would get a baking pan, momma wont like this, and soak the gun in CRC or any other penetrating solvent you can get. after a day or so start trying to gently open the cylinder and manipulate the hammer and trigger. after you get to the point of basic operation, totally disassemble the gun. use scotch brite pads on the rust, clean everything up and reassemble. keep it oiled. if you choose to use a chemical rust remover just be aware that bluing is a form of rust so it is removed also.

Posts: 981 | Location: Shenandoah Valley VA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
So long as you are aware that blue is just another form of rust, and it sounds like you are aware of that, so anything removing rust will also remove blue.

Anyway, in addition to evapo rust the old standby "naval jelly" works quite well, but the other thing I have found is that most all bathroom cleaners that advertise they remove stains (especially rust stains) can do a reasonable job removing rust from items. So all you may need to do to de-rust your gun is to see if there is a bottle of "lime away" or other similar cleaner in your pantry.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brownell,s Steel White.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
If it's just the barrel and cylinder, then do not soak it in any of the mentioned rust removers; those will remove all rust and bluing and gum up the internal workings. You need to remove the barrel, soak the cylinder in some solvent (it probably will open with some persuasion), then de rust only those parts. Disassemble the frame parts and treat them as needed.
This is not a one shot thing; dump the whole revolver in something, solution. And you might be surprised by how good the metal actually still is.
I have resurrected worse...

Posts: 17292 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
So could he just boil it water and card it? I've done a good bit of rust blueing but never on thick scale. Might take multiple boils.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, but again, the barrel and cylinder have to come off/out.

Posts: 17292 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Time to make a fitz special and reblue!

Posts: 167 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
This little jewel strolled into my shop Thursday of last week.

The late twenty something owner left it in the bed of a pickup truck for about a month.

I looked it over and sent her on her way

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I worked on a pistol taken from a river. Outside ? Terrible ! Inside ? no big deal , still worked !
The OP ? would like to see photos.Strange that only his nylon holstered gun was harmed ! And you think that "nylon" is just "nylon ". Not the stuff from China ,that could have lots of chemicals added.
Navel gelly is phosphoric acid in a gel Any mild acid could be tried to remove rust like oxalic acid ,citric acid etc. Watch carefully trying to operate the gun . then stop and take apart the gun and carefully clean the metal down to bare metal. Relace parts as needed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think I would immerse it in diesel for about a week, then take it out and see if functionality was restored, including being able to open the cylinder. If that was accomplished, then I would disassemble and clean as much as possible with steel wool and see jus how bad the damage is.

Hoping it looks worse than it really is...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
if no rubber parts, i'd use brake fluid - leave it over night, and see what i can do with it in the morning

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The evapo-rust is good stuff. I bought a box of rusted files at an auction. Over night soaking and I can't tell they are not new.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:

The late twenty something owner left it in the bed of a pickup truck for about a month.

I understand there's probably no way to make money on this one but...I might've tried to get it working again just to see if I could.

(However, I probably value my time differently than you do.)

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
FWIW, I'd bet that with a little cleaning and some lube it would fire. I didn't say it would be accurate or pretty. Wink

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a liquid phosporic acid that comes in gallon jugs. Wear gloves as it will suck the oil out of your skin your hand will look like you have terminal scabbies. Frank

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
George,

After you get it apart using penetrating oil like others suggested and a whack from a plastic faced hammer if needed, deep clean it with a cheap vinegar soak. The acetic acid will eat all the rust slowly in a day or two. Please show us the before/after.

CB

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5239 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
And of course there is homeowners insurance coverage too.

Posts: 5239 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by georgeld:
I've been laid up four years and today finally got a box of guns out. A fine K-38 was in a nylon holster and has a coat of rust 1/16" thick on the barrel and underlug. Cylinder isn't as bad but, it won't open.

Any advice on how to save the gun? I know it's going to have pits on the finish, I can live with that as long as it works again.

I recall trying to deal with rust on cars. We tried everything under the sun. Naval jellys (Phosphoric acid) sandblasting, etc, etc. What we found was that "surface" rust can always be successfully removed. BUT, if the rust has penetrated beneath the surface. The only way to ever rid yourself of it is to cut it out completely and replace the steel. Otherwise it will always rear its ugly head again. And if you have pitting then you are past surface rust and chemicals or boiling aint gonna cut it. Sometimes you can grind pitting a bit to remove rust as long as it wont effect the critical strength of the piece. But if there is "underlying" rust that has not been removed, then it will continue to spread and weaken the firearm further over time. Even if it looks kosher on the surface.

For surface rust, just use fine sandpaper and then re-blue.

AK-47
The only Communist Idea that Liberals don't like.

Posts: 10173 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:

Did you tell her to try a little Kroil and some firelapping? popcorn

Posts: 10173 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd stick it in a 30 cal ammo can and then fill the can with Kroil and latch the lid for about 48 hours.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Where'd ya go George? Get it loosened up? I have a Bushnell range finder that was in a cheap nylon case. After just a few years, it left sticky residue all over the plastic. Took well over an hour to remove it all.

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wstrnhuntr:
quote:

Did you tell her to try a little Kroil and some firelapping? popcorn

I told her she learned a $400 lesson in responsibility

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Am surprised that noone has issued a reminder that you never place a weapon in a holster or gun case then place it in a safe. Doing so causes all humidity to concentrate where the holster or case touches the metal.
Not even a safe that has desicant or a dehumidifier heater.

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bob Nisbet:
Am surprised that noone has issued a reminder that you never place a weapon in a holster or gun case then place it in a safe. Doing so causes all humidity to concentrate where the holster or case touches the metal.
Not even a safe that has desicant or a dehumidifier heater.

Yeah I was waiting for someone to remind the OP of this. Some folks think that storing a firearm in a case adds a level of protection. They are wrong, it is the worst thing you can do.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote