New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Look Down The Throat . . .
 Login/Join

<PowderBurns>
posted
Any way to check the condition of the chamber, leade, rifling, throat . . . besides springin' $750 for a Sinclair bore scope?

It's an orthoscopic surgical tool. You can sometimes find them for sale by medical clinics/hospitals where they've damaged a part of the lens. Still usable, but not for surgery.

But I'm interested in looking at the chamber without a major expenditure. Any ideas?

------------------
PowderBurns Black Powder / Muzzle Loading Forum:

www.hotboards.com/plus/plus.mirage?who=powderburns

one of us
posted Hide Post
I find it a lot easyer to se whats happening in this area if the barrel is pulled from the action. I know that this is not a option for a lot of people though. If you have the tools for the job it�s a big difference when you get the eye close to the chamber.

Stefan.

Posts: 635 | Location: Umea/Sweden | Registered: 28 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Look down the barrel from the breech into the light (soft light) Its easy to tell if the beginning of the lands and grooves are crisp and sharp or rolled over and rounded. You don't need a bore scope to tell how much a rifle has been shot....Look for imperfections the lenth of the bore.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41892 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OOps!! To check the chamber take a chamber casts, that takes about 15 minutes..

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41892 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
I had a really neat bore scope and I traded it away. Now I want another like it.

It was made of brass and had lenses at each end. You pulled the bolt out and it slid right in. So it was about the length and diameter of a regular bolt.

I could really see the throat up close with that and also down the bbl.

I think I got it from Sinclar about 10 years ago but I don't see it on their site now.

Where can I get one?

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Take what Ray told you about looking down the barrel one step further. If at all possible have a identical but "new" gun with you & compare their bores side by side.
compare yours to the new one. This will help you to "SEE" what you're looking for if there is a problem.

------------------
NRA Life member

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
I really can't see down the bore like I could years ago. My "transition" "bifocals" are too critical and I can't line them up unless I took the stock off. I want to get a close look and I may start another lapping effort and I want to see if I am making an improvement.

That scope was easy to use and the leade was right there in front of you.

[This message has been edited by Don Martin29 (edited 01-06-2002).]