Find
Notify
Tools

How important is length of pull?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hey guys,
When my son was 10 years old I bought him a Savage Model 10 in 308 Win. It's been a very good gun for him as he's killed 7 deer w/ it. He's now 6' 2" and will likely grow another inch or two. EekerThe length of pull (w/ the factory butt pad) of the stock is 13 1/2". I measured his LOP as 15 1/2". Granted, colder weather w/ more layers of clothes will "lengthen" the stock's LOP. I was thinking of getting a new Bell&Carlson synthetic stock w/ a longer LOP, but I'll have to special order it. That got me thinking: is the LOP really that important for most rifle hunting? I can always temporize by using a slip on recoil pad over the existing butt pad, but is it worth the trouble? Roll EyesWhat would you do in my situation? ConfusedThanks.

Good luck and good hunting.

Posts: 491 | Location: Springhill, LA | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
A 15.5" LOP is awfully long for a rifle. Double check that number and more importantly have your son try that LOP before ordering a stock. I'll bet he's going to be more comfortable with a 14 - 14.5" LOP (add .75 - 1.0" for a shotgun).

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You may want to consider the conditions when and where you hunt. I have rifles I use in colder climate and those have a LOP about 1/4-3/8" less than my warm climate rifles due to the clothes required in a colder climate. Those heavy clothes take up some LOP.
I have a 16 gauge SXS I use specifically for pheasant hunting. It has a 3/8 less LOP than I typically use for hunting doves and quail.

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The obvious response is, "If the scope isn't hitting him in the eyebrow, then the LOP is not too short." That said, for his ht. he probably could use a tad more LOP, but I wouldn't go overboard.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
get a slip on pad and try that . OVER the existing pad, as that will give you a long LOP.. try that .. its a $20 solution

I am 6'4 and gorilla armed, and in a scoped big bore, i like 15" .. unless he's long necked and wearing 39 sleeves, that's not the realy issue.

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take into account a rifle LOP is typically quite a bit shorter than a shotgun LOP. That may sound a little strange but there is about 3/4" - 7/8" difference for me.

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
A 15.5" LOP is awfully long for a rifle.

Maybe- a guy over six feet with long arms (me) will crawl all over the back of a rifle, never get a decent eye relief, etc.

15 1/2 is probably just approaching the pull I need; anything less and I have to be conscious that I don't punch myself in the nose with my right thumb.

Forget standard military stocks altogether.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gary T:
What would you do in my situation? ConfusedThanks.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I'd do what my Dad did with me, and what I'm currently doing with my young fella in the same situation.

Provide whatever good and knowlegable advice you can, put him in touch with a couple of good stockmakers (if you're at the custom stock level) who know what they're talking about, and then step back... but like everything else in life, it's up to him to make the final decision.

A gun is a tool. A moron is a moron. A moron with a hammer who busts something is still just a moron, it's not a hammer problem. Daniel77

Posts: 1275 | Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To answer the question in the subject line, "not very" when it comes to a scoped hunting rifle. We adjust to the stock dimensions, and the scope confirms sight alignment. However, stock fit is infinitely more important (yea, crucial) when it comes to shotguns, where the eye becomes the rear sight.

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote