Find
Notify
Tools

Composite Stock for a customer
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MyNameIsEarl
posted
I have a customer wanting me to restock a Rugar 77 long action for him. He wants a particular paint job on it which I am not really into painting stocks. He wants a tan w/ black webbing. I found one at HS Precision online but he doesn't really want to pay that much. Over $500.

My question is who else makes a good/decent composite/fiberglass stock. I can do the searching just didn't know what is decent. I prefer laminates as do my other customers so I really haven't looked at others.

And what are you guys charging for a restock? I was thinking along the lines of $25 if there is no labor. Like I say I deal more with wood and laminate so alot more labor free-floating and bedding etc. I am assuming it will pretty much drop in.

Thanks for any help.

Posts: 765 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Bell & Carlson are pretty good stocks at a very fair price and I believe they carry that color.

http://bellandcarlson.com/

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2813 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The HS precision is a nice stock, the Bell and Carlson is fine too.

But as far as what to charge, I would at least bed the barreled action for him, and bill whatever you charge for that. A lot of these stocks come with pillars or bedding blocks already installed, but that's not necessarily going to be a perfect bedding surface (every action is different), especially when they've applied paint to the inside of the stock.

On a side note, I wouldn't do anything for $25. By the time the customer drops the gun off, chats for 10-30min, you've logged the gun into your books, spent time researching, and then do the 10 min project, you've spent over an hour plus. If he truly only wants you to only bolt the gun into a new stock, I would charge one hour (whatever your rate is).

Posts: 595 | Location: Weathersfield, VT | Registered: 22 January 2017Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Painting a stock, decently, can take hours, if I just painted a stock a simple 4 process setup, I would need at least 150. Tape, cleaning materials, primer, base coat, spider web paint, and matte clear coat. Protip do the paint after all other work

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39708 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
For your $25; you can buy some Earth Brown or OD paint (I say that because I have gallons of it around for MVs) and spray the existing stock. Still will cost more than $25. Brown ells Alymihyde is like $12. Various colors.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MyNameIsEarl
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input I found a few options for him to consider.

Posts: 765 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Can composite stocks be "checkered" by the end user? I would expect they have to be repainted if they can

Posts: 1692 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Maybe if you want to use your tools on epoxy, fiberglass and maybe kevlar material; it will depend on if your stock is laid up from sheets of cloth, or made from chopped strands of it, or injection molded;
Basically, not a good idea. Not that I have done it. But I know what the various stocks are made of. cheap ones are molded rubber/plastic. Expensive ones are made from cloth and epoxy.
Lets put it this way; I have not heard of it. Use wrinkle paint if you want grip. Or some throw sand into it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Right, thanks.

I was looking at the Bell&Carlsons, they list only the black as being "textured", not the "spiderweb" finishes. Does the spiderweb add texture?

Posts: 1692 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes; I think it is thick paint randomly thrown on, or something like that.
I've got one here somewhere....

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Recoil Rob:
Right, thanks.

I was looking at the Bell&Carlsons, they list only the black as being "textured", not the "spiderweb" finishes. Does the spiderweb add texture?

Yes the spiderweb adds a little texture but not as much as checkering.

I've never heard of checkering a composite stock. Even if you could it wouldn't work on Kevlar anyway because it would be a fuzzy mess. In fact one of the reasons waterjets were originally developed was to cleanly trim Kevlar (aramid fiber) aerospace parts.

I'm not a gunsmith and not in the same league as the others here so my knowledge is limited on the gun related topics.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2813 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MyNameIsEarl
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNR:
The HS precision is a nice stock, the Bell and Carlson is fine too.

But as far as what to charge, I would at least bed the barreled action for him, and bill whatever you charge for that. A lot of these stocks come with pillars or bedding blocks already installed, but that's not necessarily going to be a perfect bedding surface (every action is different), especially when they've applied paint to the inside of the stock.

On a side note, I wouldn't do anything for $25. By the time the customer drops the gun off, chats for 10-30min, you've logged the gun into your books, spent time researching, and then do the 10 min project, you've spent over an hour plus. If he truly only wants you to only bolt the gun into a new stock, I would charge one hour (whatever your rate is).

MNR I do this stuff on the side. I work full time at another job and just do this more as a hobby. $25 just pays me for my time spent doing the work if it is just a simple restock. Alot of the time I trade it out. I have a good friend who is a Taxidermist. I work on his guns and reload for him, he mounts the animals I kill. I probably get the better of the deal but as far as he is concerned, we are even on work. Major projects I usually refer customers to someone else. I just don't have the time. Although I would love to do it full time but health insurance and the retirement I am already paying into would go away. I can fully retire in another 10 to 15 years and then be a smith as I want Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
I had one done on a friends rifle, the spider webbing isn't easy by any means, if its to turn out smooth as a babsy butt...I had that done by a pro. I found the painter on the internet and have long forgotten his name, but he charged $375. back then, and did a excellent job..I tried that myself on some old wood stocks, Its very hard to do "properly".

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Yes; I think it is thick paint randomly thrown on, or something like that.
I've got one here somewhere....

i just add the "plasticizer" into the paint, that we used to use to paint the ABS plastics parts of the cars ... uhm, jeff you are OLD.. the last time you painted a car was 1987!!! and the car was mostly metal.

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39708 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote