New
Find
Notify
Tools

components for .404 Jeffery
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I want to build a .404 and am in the initial planning stages. I'm looking for action and barrel suggestions. I have a few Winchester magnum actions (300 Weatherby, 300 RUM, pre-64 300 H&H, and a classic 375 H&H). I also have a 1909 Argentine and know where I can pick up a Browning Safari with the long extractor for around $900. I also see Whitworths in 375 available regularly for reasonable prices. I know the RUM would be the easiest, but my action is stainless and I want a blued rifle. Sooo, what do the experts recommend for an action? I want to build a light rifle (smallest practical contour) with a barrel band and possibly a quarter rib. What barrel should I look for?

Posts: 550 | Location: Augusta,GA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
okay.. not putting you off your goal --your specs may not flow together.. light and quarter rib and barrel band aren't really going to combine. and a barrel with intregal band is spendy ...

decide which action you want it on, and then call the 3 gunsmiths you want to do the work .. and ask them what they prefer to work on ..

you can blue stainless .. several ways around it, btw

light rifle/smallest barrel .. thats going to be a custom job .. most barrel makers now want .125 or more per side, at the muzzle.. thick and heavy

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm doing one almost just like you. A classic quick pointing gun. I am using a Model 70 7mmstw action. My smith ordered a uncontoured CM Krieger and will be contouring it very similar to the original Mauser contours of these 404 rifles. Very light and well balanced. I have the print of the original contour if you would like to see it. I am also doing same rifle in 375 Weatherby with a Brux CM barrel that they were kind enough to contour to Mauser specs.

Posts: 146 | Location: WI | Registered: 18 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I'm having my 404J done on an Argentine action with a Krieger barrel. Only a front post and peep on the rear, with a claw mount small scope like a Leupold 1.5-5. Duane Weibe has great bottom metal for this, holds 4 down but keeps the lines slim and trim. Should be trim. If Duane does it for you, you don't necessarily need 3 gunsmiths.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
mrfudd, I'll ask you the same "first" question I'd ask anyone contemplating a custom rifle, "What's your budget?"

The answer to that question provides the guardrails for all the information you wish to receive. Expensewise, there's a world of difference between rebarreling a M70 RUM and building a full-custom 404 Jeffery on a standard Mauser action.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
The same project is taking shape in my mind....in NZ$ - this would give me a basic solid rifle. I could upgrade with a Lothar Walther quarter rib barrel for another $500 or so. I would have do the stock work myself if I used a Turkish blank. I would rust blue it myself.

HUNTERBID TURKISH WALNUT BLANK OPTION NZ$
Mauser 98 action $350.00
Walnut blank $300.00
Inletting & cross bolts $150.00
Recoil pad $45.00
NEGC Foresight Masterpiece with silver & night beads $180.00
NEGC rear 2 leaf island & sight $230.00
MAB Barrel - 404 Jeffery $400.00
Barrel chambering & threading, fitting etc. $250.00
Metal work on magazine, bolt face & bolt handle $200.00
Ghost ring sight - XS $90.00
Sling Studs, barrel band etc $50.00
Timney Trigger $75.00
Dies Hornady $150.00
Cases X 50 $200.00
$2,670.00

GREAT AMERICAN STOCK COMPANY OPTION NZ$
Mauser 98 action $350.00
Walnut Stock - SN: 08262A with cross bolts $450.00
Recoil pad $45.00
NEGC Foresight Masterpiece with silver & night beads $180.00
NEGC rear 2 leaf island & sight $230.00
MAB Barrel - 404 Jeffery $400.00
Barrel chambering & threading, fitting etc. $250.00
Metal work on magazine, bolt face & bolt handle $200.00
Ghost ring sight - XS $90.00
Sling Studs, barrel band etc $50.00
Timney Trigger $75.00
Dies Hornady $150.00
Cases X 50 $200.00
$2,670.00
EXTRAS
Double set trigger
Grip cap with trap door $285.00
Magazine & follower Bkackburn $625.00
Less gunsmith work on mag etc. -$100.00
TOTAL WITH EXTRAS $3,480.00

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11208 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ForrestB:
mrfudd, I'll ask you the same "first" question I'd ask anyone contemplating a custom rifle, "What's your budget?"

The answer to that question provides the guardrails for all the information you wish to receive. Expensewise, there's a world of difference between rebarreling a M70 RUM and building a full-custom 404 Jeffery on a standard Mauser action.

My budget is closer to the Model 70 rebarrel- I can't afford the full custom route. I don't need the quarter rib or integral lug/sight. I would be happy with a soldered barrel band and good basic sights. My main requirements are perfect feeding, good balance, and preferably light weight. I would prefer a Mauser action, but realize that the Model 70 would be cheaper (no need to replace trigger or safety).

Posts: 550 | Location: Augusta,GA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote