Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger 416 Alaskan, Bad Feeding !
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Sarg
posted
I posted this on the Big Bore Forum, seems I sure try here to ?

I just got a Ruger Alaskan in 416, dam thing, load the mag with three rounds rake the bolt back hard from unloaded chamber & first round jumps out of the mag ever time !
Second round feeds in, third round misses chamber high ever time !

Any body have thoughts on this ?

I actually got this to rebarrel to 458Win as a work/hunting rifle & when I load 458 rounds it does not do this, but the last round misses chamber high to .

Posts: 461 | Location: New Zealand - Australia - South Africa | Registered: 14 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Some will tell you it's the spring...

Posts: 4884 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Don't take it to Africa unless you can fix it definitely and finally. The short answer might be CZ.

Posts: 5115 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is not the spring. The Tyro thinks that a stronger magazine spring will cure all feeding ills. The problem with the 416 Ruger, and to a lesser degree the 375 Ruger, is cartridge shape and geometry compared to the geometry of the receiver that it's put into. I have found the 416 Ruger to be the most difficult of all big-bore cartridges to get to function properly in any bolt action; Ruger, CZ, Winchester, etc. Just by looking at it you woud think it would be a piece of cake to get it to work, but it's not. The 458 Lott, 500 Jeffery, and other carts. that have a reputation for difficult feeding are a breeze to get to function compared to the Rugers. I really don't like them.

Posts: 1253 | Location: Montana | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What gets me is Rooger (rhymes with booger)put their name on the cartridge and didn't even bother to make it half-way function in their rifle. Sarg's rifle is not a unique case. Get a Rigby.

Posts: 1253 | Location: Montana | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sarg
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the comments guys .
here are a couple of pic's of the bolt face (not the reason for the bad feeding) but could the guys that know say if that botton step should be flat ?

In fact if you look hard you can see a cross on the bolt (easy to see in the hand) looks like the reamer marks when it stoped ?
Should these be polished flat to ?

Posts: 461 | Location: New Zealand - Australia - South Africa | Registered: 14 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sarg,

If you mean the step from the bottom to the face where the cartridge base will sit, yes, that is normal. It is a remnant of Ruger opening up the bolt face to accept the magnum case. You see it on most bolts opened up on a lathe.

Your bolt face looks identical to my 30 year old M77mk2 in 300 Win mag.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bitterroot:
What gets me is Rooger (rhymes with booger)put their name on the cartridge and didn't even bother to make it half-way function in their rifle. Sarg's rifle is not a unique case. Get a Rigby.

Learn something new every day! Smiler Rooger, rhymes with booger! Smiler Get a Rigby. Get a Model 70. Get a CZ. Get anything but a Rooger! Smiler

Suwannee Tim

Posts: 140 | Location: Way down upon the Suwannee River. | Registered: 02 March 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bitterroot:
It is not the spring. The Tyro thinks that a stronger magazine spring will cure all feeding ills. The problem with the 416 Ruger, and to a lesser degree the 375 Ruger, is cartridge shape and geometry compared to the geometry of the receiver that it's put into. I have found the 416 Ruger to be the most difficult of all big-bore cartridges to get to function properly in any bolt action; Ruger, CZ, Winchester, etc. Just by looking at it you woud think it would be a piece of cake to get it to work, but it's not. The 458 Lott, 500 Jeffery, and other carts. that have a reputation for difficult feeding are a breeze to get to function compared to the Rugers. I really don't like them.

I agree that too many recommend a stiffer spring when one is not needed.

I don't agree that the .375/.416 Rugers are difficult to get to feed. Being as I don't work on Rugers, I will reserve comment on how factroy rifles behave.

That said, all the Mausers I have built in 375 or 416 Ruger feed beautifully.

It is espeically helpful to have bottom metal with the proper geometry.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote