New
Find
Notify
Tools

Suppose I decided to build a mauser...
 Login/Join

<Adirondack Joe>
posted
I've had an idea floating in my head lately: making a nice modern mauser sporter. I know that there are many variations on this theme, but I had something rather specific in mind. I want it built on a modern m98 rendition, perhaps one imported by Legacy Sports or Charles Daly, and a 22 inch tube; all with a nice black metal oxide finish. The stock will be a light sporter made from a brown laminate. The package will weigh about 8 lbs even with a sling and 2-7 glass on board. The caliber, well, I'm still torn over 7x57 vs. 6.5x55. Overall, I hope to complete the rifle for under $1000.

Now, I have a few questions.

Do any of you have any recommendations regarding which action I should use?
As far as barrels, would any of you recommend Pac-Nor? How are their chambers? Bore finish? Would a Douglas be worth the money?
As for stock, who makes good laminate stocks that are inletted or semi-inletted for mausers? Are there any that are relatively light?
As far as caliber, which is easier to get quality brass for at a reasonable price - 7x57 or 6.5x55?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm no expert on the subject but based on the safety of the legacy sports mauser I'd probably pick it. The charles daly actions are the same as the old interarms mark X and are fine actions but I prefer the winchester style safety and that would have to be fitted to it by a gunsmith.

Pac-nor makes excellent barrels and will fit them for a reasonable price. In my opinion pac-nor makes a much better barrel than douglas, others may disagree.

Elk ridge is one company making laminated stocks, there are many others out there as well.

The 7x57mm will be easier to find brass for.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I built a rifle much like you are proposing a few years ago.

I started with a early 50's FN mauser action and added a #2 Douglas premium barrel(23 ")in .35 Whelen. I installed a model 70 style safety(2 position) and a Timney trigger. I spend quite a bit of time slicking the action and it feeds like a dog slurping sausages.

The stock is one I carved myself from a laminate blank obtained from Gun Parts Inc. I used a large 1" Pachmayr decelarator recoil pad and shaped the stock to fit the pad. I ended up with a stock that is somewhat heavier than a similar stock in walnut. In general, all things being equal, laminated wood is heavier than walnut, in my experience.

I had the metal finished in teflon and topped the rifle off with a 2-7 Leupold compact scope. I even had an old Whelen type sling to go with the rifle.

The whole setup ended up weighing 8.5-9 lbs and is one sweet rifle.

If you go ahead with your project, you won't go wrong with components you listed.

http://www.hunting-pictures.com/members/paulharper/35whelen.jpg

http://www.hunting-pictures.com/members/paulharper/whelen_safety.jpg

Posts: 407 | Location: Sechelt, B.C., Canada | Registered: 11 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
Action: that Legacy is expensive, if not that one an Argentine ($125.00) from Ellisons. Since it was set up on the 7.65x53 Belgian, you have no work to do besides blueing. Some say you have to drop $800.00 or more to "prepare one of these. Uhhh maybe for a big bore. Barrel from Kreiger, on your rifle, about $425.00, they can do the work, you'll have to have it blued somewhere though.

Stocks: don't know. Don't like the looks of laminates.
Goto http://benchrest.com/sst where there is a huge number of makers of everything.

7x57 in Winchester brass.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Roger Rothschild (edited 02-21-2002).]

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think your on the right track, but 8 lbs. is tough with a laminated stock as it is very heavy...A plain piece of French Walnut would bring it to 6.5 sans scope....

Roger,
the Argentine needs lots of work unless you just want something that will go bang!! It must be surface ground, then drilled and tapped for scope use, It certainly needs a new trigger $65.00, It must have a new bolt to work with a scope $100., and a new safty to work with a scope $50 to $150, then polishing and blueing, $100 minimum, and thats just to make it usable with a scope...

I agree it takes $800 to do one RIGHT and I agree you can jury rig one or even shoot it as is for nothing, if you just shoot a mil surp iron sighted rifle.....

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41892 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The legacy is available on a special promotion to anyone with an FFL right now for $275. I do not know what the dealer price is. But take the Argentine and if your are going to go over it and do a few things to it. Surface grind to get rid of the stripper clip hump, and true up the radius - $65 (low), Trigger - $60, Add an inside the trigger guard button - $20, 3 position safety - $225, Lap lugs, $30. Weld on a new bolt - $100. This does not include any honing of the action but given the initial cost, we are up to $630. If we go with a 2 position safety we will be at $500. By the time you drill and tap and add a barrel you will be pushing $1000.

If you go with the Legacy, you will still have to replace the bolt, the one they have on there is really ugly.

Most laminate stocks are rather heavy. The plys are impregnated with some resins and they do not come in light. English Walnut is also rather dense. It is difficult to predict the weight of a rifle like this if you are doing it as a one of project.

I

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some of the laminate makers (Boyd's for one) offer a lightweight option. Basically they drill holes in the stock where they can't be seen, to remove a pound or so. FWIW - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Say Chic, Where do you get information about their $275 deal? I looked on their web site and didn't see anything.

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Adirondack Joe>
posted
Oh, I forgot to ask - which 2-7 scope should I go with, Kahles or Leupold?

Also, I heard about Richards Micro-fit stocks. Are they any good?

<Patrick>
posted
Joe, good morning, I did this project about a year ago. I wanted a good shooting mil sup mauser in the style that may have been seen in the 40's. I started with a Brno VG-24, it was ground and polished, the rise at the stripper clip guide ground off, squared and a douglas barrel installed. We tigged on a new bolt handle and fitted a low rise, right side wing safety. I reused the bottom metal with a release extension. All the parts are available from Brownells. My smith put the action in a Rimrock stock he inletted. The polish and bluing came out very nice. The action is very smooth and it fits and shoots great. On the next one, and there will be one, I'll do a couple things differently. The whole package with warne bases and rings, ran about $1,500. Not modern mauser, but a lot of fun.

<OTTO>
posted
I built mine on a Czech VZ-24 action. The stock came from www.reamerrentals.com in their Elk Ridge stocks section. I used a leupold base and rings with a leupold Vari-x II 3-9x40 scope. Installed a Timney triger and had the safety converted to a 2 position Winchester style by my gunsmith. I then bead blasted all metal parts and then black blued for a nice matte finish. Brass for the 7x57 and 6.6x55 are both as common as each other. I personally would take the swede but theres nothing wrong with that good old 7 either. Both will feed in the mauser action without a fault. Good Luck!!

------------------
From my cold, dead hands!
Thanks Chuck!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Get this one!

VZ-24 action...$100
Boyds stock.....$90
Barell threaded for the action and
chambered for .270 Win at a gun show
from a guys "mistake"......$50
Leupold 2-7 scope....$245
scope base and rings....$60
timney trigger.....$45
gunsmith work.....$100
Bluing...$90

GRAND TOTAL......$780

Now figure the shilen barell would run you a minimum $150 along with another $150 for threading and chambering and we are right up there at $1000. so yes it can be done if you are patient for the right deals.

------------------
Endeavor to Persevere

Posts: 281 | Location: MN | Registered: 27 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
Atkinson and Customstox,
Let's see if we can "do it right" and have a pimp gun or see if we can do it right and have something to shoot.

We do not want to surface grind. Why would ANYone want to do this and totally destroy the character of the receiver by grinding off that glorious crest. If you want to do that, sure, buy a CZ or a Turk that is worthless to begin with. Something run of the mill. Why take something special and deliberately make it ordinary.

We do not want to grind off the stripper clips and "true the radius" because it makes it look just like anyone elses rifle.
We do not want to "drill and tap" that beautiful receiver to hide the crest but then since all that character has been destroyed anyway by this grinding mania...

We do not want to add some unecessary 3 way safety, the original is perfectly fine, beside, those 3 ways totally screw up the curves of the bolt sleeve and the ones that cut the sleeve are even worse.

We do not want to put an inside the triggerguard release button, the way it is is perfectly fine and is very sanitary but then again some guys want to put those curb scrubbers on their Cadillacs too.

Forget "honing the action" they are fine as they are unless someone has been buying rusty ones.

Lap the lugs, ok I'll buy that.

Trigger, definitely. Double set triggers are nice and add class.

"can jury rig one or even shoot it as is for nothing, if you just shoot a mil surp iron sighted rifle"

Well let's see, if you wanna scope (nothing wrong with that) put it on a side mount, they look very cool and do the jay-oh-be, plus you can use your "iron sighted rifle" if you put on a trick bolt stop peep. One of those antique Lyman sights.

Yeah I think I can doo without the purple velvet, dingle-berries and white high heeled boots. I prefer a rifle with some character, not a high-priced just-like-everyone-elses high-priced-rifle.
Now I know both of you curmudgeons have built lots more firearms than me. I have built zero. Maybe that is the problem with custom builders. You get to believing what everyone else tells you will "do it right" without trying to do what you want to do.

Yep. I AM in a bad mood today.

------------------

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
<thumbtrap>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Roger Rothschild:
We do not want to surface grind. Why would ANYone want to do this and totally destroy the character of the receiver by grinding off that glorious crest. If you want to do that, sure, buy a CZ or a Turk that is worthless to begin with. Something run of the mill. Why take something special and deliberately make it ordinary.

I'm doing a project on one of the rare and fabled 'Die Grinder' Crest VZ-24's. It was a rough job - it needs some polish. Wonder how hard it would be to get the family crest on there...

As for safties.. I have nothing against the military saftey - in fact I like it. I'm going with a forward mount and scout scope on this rifle, so clearing the scope isn't an issue. But..for a hunting rifle - I personally like to keep the saftey on, as I nod off at 7:00 am while pointing a loaded rifle in who knows what direction. The military saftey requires rather large, (and often forceful) and noisey movements to set the saftey to 'fire'.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sort of like this?

http://www.hunting-pictures.com/members/1894/7x57JPG.jpg

It's an 09 action with Yugoslav trigger and side safety, reworked bolt handle, shihlen 24", original bottom metal with inside guard bow release, soldered mounts, Swarovski 6x42 and Churchill stock. All metal including scope and mounts matte blued in the same bath.

Go for it but junk the plywood.

[This message has been edited by 1894 (edited 02-22-2002).]

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ramrod, the ad is in the center of the Feb 15th issue of the Gun list. The offer ends April 30th. www.legacysports.com

1894, looks fantastic,nice job, does not however look like everyone elses rifles as Roger says.

And I hate to even dignify Roger's "comments" with an answer. The Ellison argentines, Have you ever even seen the barrels on them?? I guessed not. They are rusted and worn out junk. I have no problem with someone leaving one of these intact and shooting with the military stock. His project was going a different route. I was also not suggesting that my outline was the only way to go but more the high end, or mid high. They will look like everyone elses rifles? Hardly, no one ever can even figure out what mine are. Take a prozac, have another six pack, pat your Savage and call us when the sun comes up.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Adirondack Joe,
I actually missed your basic question, the action to choose. I would go with an Argentine 1909 or a VZ 24. The Argentine has a hinged floor plate which is nice. If you want to look at the lower end of the spectrum consider. Side swing safety two position, $85, leave the military two stage trigger, I have had some that were fabulous. Drill and tap and mount bases and rings - $80+/-. Leupold 2 to 7 roughly $185 on Ebay. Boyd stock as someone said they can lighten them. I would go with regular wood but your choice - $100 or so. Shaw barrel (hate to recommend them but they are cheap) $250, probably $300 with bluing. So we are about at $880 with a $130 action.

BTW, Pacnor is a very good barrel, better than Douglas, add another $200 or so.

[This message has been edited by Customstox (edited 02-23-2002).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Walther makes a great barrel, and it's not too much more than a Shaw.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
HA! I was wondering when I would hear something.

Yes I have looked at Ellisons Argentines. I bought one as a matter of fact. All numbers matching, even the cleaning rod and none forced. Stock is excellent with intact cartouches, serial number and a couple of very small compression marks. Receiver crest sharp and clear, all edges sharp. Barrel is mirror bright with strong lands and grooves. The very first four 7.65x53 Norma cartridges I fired through it clocked 2598fps (180 grain bullet) and I put them into about a 1.5" group off the bench at the 100 yard line at the Cushman range here in Fairbanks. All this for $189.00 plus the $17.00 1st class with insurance mailed to my local dealer. You must be referring to a different Ellisons.

------------------

one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought a 1909 Argentine, a few years back for $89. It has all markings intact, mismatched bolt, parkerized finish, and a mirror bore. It will put 5 milsurp fmj's inside an 1" at 100yds.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roger,
This is a picture of the 9 that are left, along with a Danzig and a FN. Every one had a dark bore. So did the other 5.

Same Ellisons. You were very lucky, or we are dealing with a different reality.

one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
Well I guess I must just be lucky !

When I called them I told the guy who answered (I forget his name) how many m1909's he had left. He said, "two". I told him I wanted to buy one and was interested in the one with the best bore. He put me on the speaker-phone and then gave me a running description (including serial number) of the rifles. I choose the one I bought based on his descriptions.

Don't get me wrong when I say pimp gun. I like a pretty rifle too. I saw a Maurice Ottmar rifle based on an m1909 in one of the gun rags a few years back that is so beautiful it would make you cry just to look at it, it had more curves than a high school varsity cheerleading squad. Right there on the end of the bolt was one of those obscene 3-way safeties. On a rifle with no single flat area, here was one almost 3/4" square.
It had the same attraction for the eye as: when you have a serious discussion with your preacher and he has a booger hanging out of his nose, or gowing to parent/teacher conference and a thick black hair is growing out of your daughters' teachers nose or going to refinace your loan at the bank and the banker has a sparkling white piece of lint on an otherwise perfectly black jacket. It drew attention to itself. It looked out-of-place on that rifle. ow much do you think it cost? Lots I presume. Why can't a 3-way be made with curves instead of a huge flat side?

My perception is you and Ray have determined that given this particular platform there is "x" work that must be done, period, before it is usable. On this we disagree.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roger,
Go back and read what I said. You said that a Legacy was expensive. I stated that it was on sale for $275 and if you took an argentine and did a few things to it the cost would be $X.

Now all of a sudden I am saying that all these things had to be done to it. Your assesment of my posting was very much in error and your "pimp" rifle comment was arrogant and ignorant as was your evaluation of Maurice's work. End of discussion with you my good man. Go back and read.

Chic

one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
Yeah Chic whatever. I did reread. Retail is what? If you know the FFL $275.00 + 10% + shipping, if not? The guy wanted to do everything under $1,000.00 you come out and say he'll have $1,000.00 into it before stock. My comments about being able to build a rifle without it costing much dollars offends you, fine.

My comments about pretty rifles may seem arrogant to you but that is an observation. If you don't like it, fine.
My evaluation of Ottmars work is right on. I took that magazine and showed it to several people, some of whom could care less about any type of firearm and all agreed it was a work of art. You take exception to me not liking the design of whatever three-way safety was on the rifle? Fine.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I think I know a work of art when I see it. I also am not afraid to voice my observations on what I feel detract from the esthetics of a rifles lines. If you are offended that I disagree with you because I am "ignorant", fine.

Do I have to design an airplane to be able to say one is nicer to look at than another? Nope. Do I have to build a rifle to be able to say one is nicer to look at than another? Nope. Some think a David Miller piece is the best thing in metal and wood, I will say it has subtle lines but I do not like that look. Some say the early Mausers are really funky looking. I think they look quite elegant. I also think the flat, slab sided 3-way safety on the Ottmar piece detracted from its looks. You disagree and call me ignorant, if it makes you feel better, fine.

Have a happy day.

------------------

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roger,
Put down the beer, go back and read it. What I told you is that the legacy is not expensive. If you do an Argentine to the same level you are way above that. Distort it all you want. You want to make a mountain out of a molehill. You were on a totally different path. Read my post after that on the low end redo. Now get a grip.

You missed the whole point. Go shoot your military Argentine and enjoy.

By the way, shipping is $7.50, another one you missed.

[This message has been edited by Customstox (edited 02-24-2002).]

one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
Roger,

I usually stay out of these types of posts but your attitude and ignorance just begs to be responded to.

#1 - you do not build rifles. You merely attach a few parts and call it done.

#2 - There is a flat area on a standard military mauser action. Its right in front of the thumb notch on top of the left rail.

#3 - your evaluation of custom gun builders work may be taken more seriously IF you have ever built a rifle. Its called credibility.

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
I am having so much fun I can barely control myself!

I must be doing something right when you two (Chic and Bill) are reduced to name calling.

Let's see:

"take prozac, have another six-pack and call when the sun comes up". "Are we dealing with a different reality". "Put down the beer". "Get a grip". (Chic)

Additional comments about arrogance and ignorance. Implying I have a mental problem, am mentally imbalanced need medication and am a drunk to boot. I believe this is called "character assasination", that is rude is it not? Oh, I never mentioned the cost ($)of shipping, I just wrote, "+ shipping".

"Attitude and ignorance". (Bill)
To respond: Your intro, "I usually stay out of these posts but" appears to be trying to set yourself on the 'moral high ground'?
#1. Totally incorrect.
#2. Yes true it has always been there, we were specifically talking about the safety.
#3. This is fascinating. So Bill, no one can comment on whether a rifle is pretty or not, nor can they comment on the apparent quality or lack thereof, nor can they simply say "I don't like that because..." because they haven't built one or more rifles?

Gentlemen, I see you have silenced any disagreement from any other posters on this thread by making rude comments and unjust insinuations. Bill, your statement that without having actually built rifles one cannot judge the looks or quality nor can anyone voice their opinion whether they like or not like ("evaluation") is truly gross arrogance sir.

This thread is going no where. Chic we come back to the beginning. I believe a nice rifle can be made using a military receiver for under $1,000 and you feel there are things that need to be done to that receiver before it can be used, the sum total is it would be over $1,000. On this we disagree.

I will comment no more on this thread as it cheapens the good nature of this site.

Have a Happy Day!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Roger Rothschild (edited 02-24-2002).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill, and Chic, I admire your work, I love finely crafted guns. I also, have some guns I just screwed together, some shoot amazingly well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roger,
We do not disagree that it can be done differently or cheaper. You just seem bent bent on misreading my comments. And your comments on Pimp rifles, white high heeled boots and jingle berries are just reverse snobbery based and set me off.

I think the good folks here are gettin nothing of this conversation. I can't get you to see what I was trying to say so we might as well drop this or continue it via regular email. You likely have some good points to make but your attitude turned me off immediately. I also would be willing to bet that you are worth getting to know. send me an email at worthing@crcwnet.com. It would be great to turn this verbal tussle into a friendship and I do apologize for the comments about the beer and the prozac, they were out of line and undeserved.

Chic

one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
GSF1200 - my intent was not offend you. Its pretty insulting when you spend the better part of 2 years building a rifle only to have it reduced to the term "pimp gun". I know you did not say that but that is where the venom from my post came from. I have enjoyed our conversations very much and I do apologize if I have offended you in any way.

[This message has been edited by Bill Soverns (edited 02-25-2002).]

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just want to know why anyone would build a Mauser and then ruin it with a Leupold scope?

------------------
Howard
Moses Lake WA
hhomes@homesley.com

Posts: 2337 | Location: Moses Lake WA | Registered: 17 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
LMAO - Howard....you shmuck.....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill,
I still have Howard's stock for that .257 Roberts to finish checkering. I might just make one of fleur-de-lis into a fleur-de-blob. If I stamped Ziess on it he would even pay more.

one of us
posted Hide Post
No Leupold on my rifle. No high heeled white shoe pimp rifle for me that is just like everyone else�s.

But then maybe you see so much similarity in upper end rifles because that is what works and if spending hard earned money for something "a step above" you want what works.

PS now that gold ring just screams PIMP-PIMP!!!

------------------
Howard
Moses Lake WA
hhomes@homesley.com

Posts: 2337 | Location: Moses Lake WA | Registered: 17 October 2000Reply With Quote