Find
Notify
Tools

Can you soften an old recoil pad?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of H T
posted
I have a 340 Wby I had built in the mid-80s. The pad - Pachmayr - has gotten fairly stiff. I'd like to avoid putting a new pad on, if possible. Hunting with it fairly soon.

Can it be softened by manipulating it with a wooden dowel or some such? Odd request, I know....

Posts: 742 | Location: Kerrville, TX | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bite the bullet, replace the pad.

Posts: 798 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have read that oil of wintergreen softens hardened rubber, but you will have to remove the pad first.

I have never tried it.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
No you can't. Rubber hardens and cracks from ozone; you can't reverse it.

Posts: 17292 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
NOPEbut a good stock maker can fit a new that will look better than the original..Recoil pad fitting is one of the most complicated gunsmith jobs there is but when done correctly its nice..the other option is refinish the stock and sand the pad to it. Most stock makers gunsmiths can do that well..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of H T
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Gentlemen. Always good feedback and advice available on this forumm.

The stock has an ivory forend and an ivory inlay as well. Those could not be replaced if damaged. So, can't trust it to very many folks to work on. A Dale Goens protege made it for me, from a stock blank He's since gone off the grid and I would have to find someone else. Clock is ticking on needing it for a hunting Namibia.

May have to take it hunting as is, and man-up with a somewhat stiff pad. Not a big problem. coffee

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For your purpose get one of these:

https://www.beartooth-products...tions/recoil-pad-kit

I have a couple, work great and are super light.

Posts: 798 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
No you can't. Rubber hardens and cracks from ozone; you can't reverse it.

and ex-gasing

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It depends a lot on the rubber compound. You can basically melt an old auto water heater hose in diesel. The internet is always your friend, not just one site. I think you'll find a bunch about that on auto restoration sites. I've used Armoral successfully on old rubber boots.

Posts: 160 | Location: Homer, AK | Registered: 11 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of H T
posted Hide Post
Bit the bullet and took it to a gunsmith for a new pad. It’s not the cost, it’s delivery time and not damaging the ivory. This guy should be pretty good at grinding a new pad.

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by H T:
Bit the bullet and took it to a gunsmith for a new pad. It’s not the cost, it’s delivery time and not damaging the ivory. This guy should be pretty good at grinding a new pad.

Did you say the forend was ivory? The cap? I can't say I've ever seen that - ebony, yes, ivory, no.

One of Us
Picture of H T
posted Hide Post
Yessir. Forend ivory. Diamond ivory inlay in the grip cap. Also an ivory button in bolt handle. Kind of like a custom rifle my mother had. Ivory forend with scrimshaw and a mesquite stock in a 257 Weatherby. Many many years ago…..

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well to get a perfect fit you have to refinish the buttstock with the new pad installed and rough shaped. You can get close to perfect without doing that, if you are very patient and careful.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What Russ says!! Sometimes one can sand an old pad when refinishing an old stock to maintain the original for whatever reason and the recoil pad perks right up, at what point the rubber gives up the ghost I have no idea, just sand on it with 180 or whatever cuts best and see what happens, if not I'd suggest refinish the stock, carefully done it won't bother the inlays..Another option is to try using the old pad for a pattern, install the new pad very carefully one stroke at a time with course wet or dry sandpaper on a block or filel and file to a fit..It can be done, but time consuming and perhaps costly..I have done that on ocassion.

Id much prefer a solid pad to work with, and a leather covered recoil pad makes for easy installation and doesn't require the same perfect fit and adds greatly to the value of the rifle..

Just some options to consider..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I think the consensus is to unscrew it, throw it away, and pay a good gunsmith to fit a Pachmayr Decelerator. Cool

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13675 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote