Find
Notify
Tools

12 gauge to .270 conversion possible?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted
My neighbor has a new in box Remington double in 12 ga. and wondered if it can be converted to a .270 Winchester DR via a barrel liner without a lot of trouble or expense. If so, can it be done for under $1,000.? If so, by whom? Any help appreciated. CB

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5188 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes but it would be a cobbled up hog.
No. It can't be done for 1K.
Buy a Baikal double rifle in 30-06 and forget the 270 idea.

Posts: 17192 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I'll mention what you said to Joe.
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Yes but it would be a cobbled up hog.
No. It can't be done for 1K.
Buy a Baikal double rifle in 30-06 and forget the 270 idea.

Posts: 5188 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
If he wants a real double rifle, the nearest thing is a Chapuis UGEX in 7x65 (closest thing to a 270 but much better). DRs are better with rimmed rounds. It will cost him $5k to get one. As I said, for $750, he can get a Baikal 06 which will be accurate, if a but crudely made. But converting a shotgun to 270 is a bad idea, and I have converted several shotguns to double rifles.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
I took a look at the Baikal on GB. As you said, it's not pretty. But, for just $700 or so, it is what it is. Thanks for the insight. CB

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
The amazing thing about them is that they are so accurate; my 06 shoots into one inch at 50 yards all day. I have owned lots of DRs costing a minimum of ten times more and none will do that.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
As soon as I get over this cold I will recommend the Baikal-Remington MP-221 to Joe. Did you regulate the right barrel on yours? Pretty neat feature for an el cheapo DR.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, I adjusted the right barrel until it shot Gi match ammo into one inch at 50 yards. It took 5 minutes to do it. I am still struggling with my Chapuis 8mm to shoot into 3 inches at 50 yards. It ain't going to make it.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Good to know. Thanks. CB

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Well dpcd. My neighbor was hot on a Baikal double back in February and then just told me he bought a Thompson sub machine gun instead.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well dpcd. My neighbor was hot on a Baikal double back in February and then just told me he bought a Thompson sub machine gun instead.

rotflmo Those are close.

Sure glad I'm not the only one that changes horses in mind stream.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Good choice; somewhat different prices, but I would rather have the Thompson anyway. Last Thompson I saw sold was for $30K.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Probably bought an Auto Ordinance repo. I was running late so there was no time to elaborate. Does sound like fun. I'm certain he's got other deer guns.
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
quote:

rotflmo Those are close.

Sure glad I'm not the only one that changes horses in mind stream.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
an exceptionally bad combination .. get a baikal 30-06 and load it with light barnes x bullets, if you want fast... that can be done for under 1K...

ANYONE that offers to build a double gun for under 1K is kidding you, in some way

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38662 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Yes, Baikal is probably the way to go. In case you're wondering why everyone is saying that conversion is a bad idea, could I suggest the following:

converting any shotgun to a rifle tends to be a difficult and expensive business;

a 12-gauge gun's frame would be much too big for a .270, and would result in a very heavy rifle;

old American shotguns are thought less suitable for the project than certain European makes.

Posts: 5033 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Wasn't my idea. He (my neighbor) bought a Tommy gun instead of the Baikal I suggested. Quite a left turn I know.