Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Black powder barrel with old ball stuck
 Login/Join

posted
A friend dropped off a black powder rifle he wanted back in commission. He had left it loaded for about 3 years. Got the nipple off and soaked the powder with oil. Drilled out most of the ball with a sharpened brass rod. Now any suggestions about how to clean out the rest of the lead ball? or maybe it should become a tent stake. Can't get the breech plug loose. Is there hope?

One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
Assuming the powder is all out and there is a hole in the ball. Invert it in a vise and take a plumbers torch and heat it slowly until the lead melts out of the barrel. Then oil it up really good so it doesn't rust. Don't overheat it and just heat the area the lead is in.

ASSUMING THERE IS NO POWDER LEFT ! ! !

coffee

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
You should not have drilled the ball; easy and correct way is use a ball puller and remove it, but too late for that now. Do what Speer said.
If there is powder left, you will know fairly quickly.

Posts: 17278 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
ASSUMING THERE IS NO POWDER LEFT ! ! !

I would shoot off a couple of caps in a safe manner before trying this that well make sure all the power is burnt out

Posts: 19597 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
A ball puller is just a wood screw on a ramrod.
Alternative, send it to me and I will fix it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The absolute safest way to remove a bullet or ball stuck in a muzzle loader is to remove the nipple and screw in a zerk fitting. 90% of them are 1/4 x 28. Then attach a grease gun and get to pumping. 100% safe. Works 99% of the time. 99% messy.

Once you drill a hole in the bullet or ball that option is lost !

popcorn

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Plug the hole in the ball, compressed air through the nipple. I'd try freezing it before heating it. Traditional muzzle loading barrels, parts whatever are utter crap material wise. Who knows what will happen to the metal if it gets hot enough to melt the ball.

Posts: 4828 | Location: IN YOUR POOL | Registered: 10 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another course of action to consider is to plug the nipple and pour a bit of Kroil down the barrel and also soak the hell out of the breech joint and let sit for a few days before trying that breech plug again. That is going to be your best bet at accessing and properly cleaning out the lead and corrosion, or at least accessing whether you have a good barrel to work with. That breech plug needs to come off! If you mess it up removing it, it is a rather inexpensive replacement.

Posts: 133 | Location: Thermopolis, WY | Registered: 29 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Too much drama; you guys do realize that people used these guns every day for many more years than the metallic cartridge has been around.
One more comment; soaking the breech plug won't help; it ain't the threads that are stuck. Like Mauser rifle barrels; the threads are loose; it is the shoulder. Inner and outer, here too.
ML barrels are usually made from 1137, or so. Heating them enough to melt solder won't hurt them. ok, two comments.
Send it to me and I will fix it for free.

One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
I like your cantankerous attitude, dpcd!

Kinda like my approach at work- "I coulda fixed it in the time we spent talking about it!"

My boss calls this a "bias toward action." I usually tell him to can the politically correct bullshit!

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I keep telling myself not to get involved with these problems, which I could fix in about two minutes. But I can't help it.
I realize that everyone has their opinion and I do respect them.
But, I need to shut up before I get put on someone's "ignore" list. Again.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't believe any mention was made about the threads. The "soak" was mentioned for the purpose of unseizing the mating surfaces between the breech plug and the barrel, whatever they may be. On the other hand, the heating of the barrel (or breech plug), as has been mentioned , is also useful in the process of removing the breech plug.

Posts: 133 | Location: Thermopolis, WY | Registered: 29 October 2013Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
take a #10 can, fill it 1/2 with brake fluid ...

put the breech end in the can, and pour the barrel full of same

let sit for a week

remove breech plug, drive out bullet, muzzle to plug hole, with a stick (dowel)

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39661 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
I keep telling myself not to get involved with these problems, which I could fix in about two minutes. But I can't help it.

Their loss dpcd..Keep posting, all very interesting to common old garden machinist...

Posts: 1138 | Registered: 24 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Too much drama; you guys do realize that people used these guns every day for many more years than the metallic cartridge has been around.
One more comment; soaking the breech plug won't help; it ain't the threads that are stuck. Like Mauser rifle barrels; the threads are loose; it is the shoulder. Inner and outer, here too.
ML barrels are usually made from 1137, or so. Heating them enough to melt solder won't hurt them. ok, two comments.
Send it to me and I will fix it for free.

People have attached literally 10s of thousands of scope bases to high powered rifle receivers without the use of screws or dovetails over the years, with no adverse affects or change in heat treatment. Simple lead tin solder.

Box it up and send it to dpcd.

Rod Henrickson

One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
quote:

Keep posting, friend! As John said!
(Just avoid the Political Forum and you'll endure)

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The barrel for the nipple is screwed into the breach plug and needs to be removed first. Kenny

A larger screw on a rod to better fit the hole you drilled might get it right out.