Notify
Tools

Calling you stock makers.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted
Just curious about a couple issues.

For a normal classic style stock. How wide do you leave the wood on each side of the barrel. Please something more detailed than "what looks right"

Whe you are working on getting that nice sharp line at the transition from the grip to the sides what is your snading order? Sand the curve and then use the flat to form the sharp edge? Or??

Last but not least. After working on a nice walnut stock for a few days. How do you get the natural WALNUT STAIN off your finger tips???

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ramrod

I am not a stockmaker. But I do own the book entitled "Professional Stockmaking" by David Wesbrook, published by Wolfe Publishing.

It would be well worth your while to own it if you are going to start out in custom stockmaking. pages and pages on the questions you just asked.
And lots of photos as well. I think you can get it through Brownells.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Professional Stockmaking"

Thanks I'' look into it. I have Kenndy's book but it is Checkering.

I've been building stocks for about 30 years. (Totally self taught.) Heck many of them for $$. Heck they thought they were good enough to pay for. LOL But, I'll be the first to admit I'm NOT on the level of many I see here to my eye not close. Mostly when it comes to those little pains in the a$$. Around the shadow line the transition edges.

I'll check on the book. Thanks

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
ramrod340, I do not measure the flat so I can't really tell you anything other than those words you did not want to hear. I can tell you that a bigger barrel will have a wider forearm and wider flat.

I am not exactly sure where you are talking about with the second question but the order does not matter that much.

I use soap and a nail brush to get the walnut stain off my fingers, it comes off easily.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am not exactly sure where you are talking about with the second question

Chic maybe these pic will help. The lines I'm talking about is the curves where the grip area merges with the sides. Like up to the safety area and down the guard.

No these aren't my work (I wish) I stole them.

Easy for you to say. I think I'm going to remove skin before I get it all off.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Who did you "steal" the photos from, Please identify

They are ForrestB's matched pair.

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tp.../137106492#137106492

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Ramrod340:

Before I saw your post I was thinking that the work looked like Duane Wiebe's. I am extremely biased on the subject, but in my book Duane is THE best stockmaker in the world. To my eye, his is the best balance of aesthetics and execution. Admittedly, I may be influenced by Duane being both a good friend and having build a couple of my rifles Wink.

Dave

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3832 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
ramrod, I sent you a PM

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey ramrod,take a vacation.Leave the stock work to a pro of your choice under your supervision.Don't try to do it all by yourself,you will screw up big time.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like ForestB's Duane Wiebe's stock patterns also. I was tring to examine the grip and transition into the butt from the photos. Wish I had a blueprint of those patterns just as a referense and comparison.

Rick

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
shootaway,
I know of no stockmaker who did not screw up some wood along the way. The worst thing, at least to my way of thinking, is to discourage anyone who wants to learn to build stocks. We need more people to get interested in the art of it.

Chic Worthing

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Customstox,got my eye on you as a potential stockmaker for my upcoming project.How about you posting some pictures of your work if you have not already done so?Keep up the good work.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hey ramrod,take a vacation.Leave the stock work to a pro of your choice under your supervision.Don't try to do it all by yourself,you will screw up big time.

Your faith in my ability is under-whelming.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Last but not least. After working on a nice walnut stock for a few days. How do you get the natural WALNUT STAIN off your finger tips???

You can't after that long. Smiler You have to scrub it off after each session. The liquid hand soaps with pumice work well.

The problem is where you live. If you lived farther north you could wear gloves all the time and no one would ever think your nuts. I got everyone thinkin' I wear gloves because my hands are always cold. Works for me......... Big Grin

Jim

Please be an ethical PD hunter, always practice shoot and release!!

Praying for all the brave souls standing in harms way.

Posts: 731 | Location: NoWis. | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use liquid had soap and a nail brush as I described and have no trouble getting it off.

Chic Worthing

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mr. shootaway:

Please do a search here and find some of djpaintles work. He is not a "pro". He is my ("amateur") hero. Thank God he had the balls to put a rasp on the first one....

MKane160

You can always make more money, you can never make more time...........LLYWD. Have you signed your donor card yet?

Posts: 488 | Location: TN | Registered: 03 January 2004Reply With Quote