Find
Notify
Tools

"Reno Accounting" Matched Pair
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted
After three years in the making, the matched-pair of Mausers in 300 and 375 H&H have finally arrived. Ralf Martini and Duane Wiebe have really outdone themselves. I'll let the pictures do all the talking. Any detail that does not look perfect is purely the fault of the photographer, not the gunmaker.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's bleeping incredible!!!

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Very nice is an inadequate understatement.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Damn Forrest, sent my pacemaker haywire, felt like I was jumpstarted with 220 Big GrinThere are not words to describe those two and "true" red pads, nice touch.

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanajcj
posted Hide Post
If only the devil would offer me a deal, exquisite!!!!!!

LostHorizonsOutfitters.com
----------------------------
"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas"
Davy Crockett 1835
----------------------------

Posts: 696 | Location: Texas, where else! | Registered: 18 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think exqusite would be the proper adjective.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a fine pair of rifles & choice of cartridges.Some things are worth the wait. thumb clap clap clap

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow!!! (and that too is inadequate)

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To quote my son-in-law, "Suh-weeeeeeet"! thumb
The story you told in a previous post about how this rifle project was "hatched", is among the funniest pieces I have ever seen on AR. Congratulations, Forrest.

"There are only three kinds of people; those who can count, and those who can't."

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's definitely a matched pair! You've got some beautifully wood there, what kind is it?

Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place
among them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Forrest,

Your rifles are magnificent. And your choice of calibers, both of them classics, is perfect.

Holland & Holland themselves, even in their heyday, would have been hard pressed to approach the level of artistry and fine workmanship seen here.

Truly spectacular.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13623 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Damn Forrest, I got to see those rifles......Nice.

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is the best part of the internet.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Incredible, I just can't think of anything to say other than that.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Holy Shit!

Those rifles are absolutely amazing!

I tell you...between this incredible pair and the series that are built on M70 actions as well as the single shots and that gorgeous 416 Rigby of yours....If you sold tickets and charged admission to your gun room I'd buy a season pass! Big Grin

Your collection of rifles just blows me away....!!!

So what hunts do you have planned for them? Smiler

Regards,
Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forrest,
Those are absolutely incredible. Is one of those barrels the swamped one that I bid on in Reno? Whether or not, it certainly found an incredible home.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Best looking guns I have seen posted on AR I reckon !!

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice!!!

I had to wipe the drool off my computer screen!

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Forrest,

Looks like the definition of perfection, X 2. I love those barrels. clap I'm with Billy, got to see them sometime in person.

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
What can I say that hasn't already been said bewildered Well????

I know you're proud.

Thanks for letting us see them.
Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Forest!

It`s absolutly sweet applepie for my eyes to watch your rifles. It`s nice to see that no compromise have been made in the components and in the craftmanship. That is for me real custom work of the "creme della creme".

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Truly beautiful, concept & execution. Good hunting with them.

What was the source of the actions?

Posts: 1688 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
ForrestB

Fantastic rifles. I hope they will see some action in the hunting fields thumb

Cheers
/JOHAN

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
VERY nice Forrest. First time I've seen that particular treatment of sculpting the wood under the bolt stop.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Here are a few more photos. I apologize to you dial-up guys for the large file.

I have a new appreciation for real gun photographers, getting quality pics is tough. The "kudu dandruff" is killing my detail shots.

How do you drill a square hole and hollow out a squarebridge for the claw mount mechanism???

I limited Charles Lee to lettering and trim work as I wanted to keep the working-gun look. He threatened to go on strike unless I turned him loose on the grip caps, so he could show his full talents.

All the inletting looks like this.

Blind tang screws are tough work on a Mauser. Even Steve Heilmann told me he won't do it any more.

I'm in awe of what some of our best gunmakers can accomplish. Most anyone ranked in the top 1% of their profession can live like a king; these guys do what they love for less than journeyman wages. I feel lucky to have any involvement at all in helping these projects along.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Really superb. How you gonna top that now? Maybe one of their single shots?

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Ralf Martini did the barrels, including the one Chic tried to steal out from under me. Duane Wiebe did everything else except the engraving which was done by Charles Lee.

FLA, I wish I had done my custom singleshots on the Hagn action, but I don't think I'll have another singleshot built. They just don't appeal to me the way a bolt gun does. But never say never!

No one should worry themselves about these two becoming safe queens. I hunt with every rifle I own, or I get rid of it. I don't have any trips specifically planned for these two, but I figure I'll have to get them to Africa sometime soon.

The actions are '35 Chileans that Duane squarebridged.

The california english stock blanks came from Steve Heilmann's stash.

Somebody plan another Band of Bubba's event and you can see them in person. Maybe we can plan something at a range and we can do the barrel break-in "Tom Sawyer" style.

one of us
posted Hide Post
ForrestB

I am one of those on dial up but please don't stop posting pictures of you exquisite firearms.
It is a joy to see such beautiful work.
I would like to see you post the pictures of your Wiebe takedowns again. I lost my copy in a computer crash.
Can you give us a brief description of who done what on these rifles. Thanks for sharing.

James

Posts: 658 | Location: W.Va | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Absolutely stunning! Quite the crew you had working on those, couldn't think of a better bunch or more deserving owner.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of invader66
posted Hide Post
I'll take a season pass to. I know I can't touch
bawling
Can we just look sometimes? Big Grin I'll drive to see those.
Beautiful

Semper Fi
WE BAND OF BUBBAS
STC Hunting Club

Posts: 1684 | Location: Walker Co,Texas | Registered: 27 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's an incredible pair of rifles. thumb

Sendero300>>>===TerryP

Posts: 489 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 25 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They are truly gorgeous rifles, I love the stock work and the anti-glare work done on the top of the metal surfaces, I am guessing it was the engraver that did that?

Could you explain to me the reason for going with that type of scope ring setup? What does mounting the claws on the barrel rather than the action and putting the scope on the bell do differently for the fucntion/accuracy?

Thanks for sharing, feel free to post more pics and some of the rest of the collection to, for comparison reasons Wink

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifles! Let me know if you'd like to take them out to Bayou Rifles Range and shoot them.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh My,

The only thing better would be to have the opportunity to wear them out on game.

Posts: 1332 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ForrestB
Nice rifles.
We might even let you bring those to a Double Rifle Shooters Society Hunt.
Just as long as you tape them together. Big Grin

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
quote:
ForrestB: Somebody plan another Band of Bubba's event and you can see them in person. Maybe we can plan something at a range and we can do the barrel break-in "Tom Sawyer" style.

I´ll gladly help whitewash that fence!

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
After looking at the second set of pics, I think I'll go out in the shop and thow the CZ I'm working on it the trash.

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Billy,

If you are going to throw it out, just box it up and send it up to me. I will even pay the shipping. roflmao

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kieth,

Its not real fancy, you probably wouldnt be interested.............but I better go get it out of the trash.

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Man, what a pair of materpieces! almost as nice as the "pair" on Fjold's little movie leader Smiler jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote