THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    B Square Floorplate Release Button for Enfield Bottom Metal

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

B Square Floorplate Release Button for Enfield Bottom Metal
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Friends-

I have a project in the works using a M-1917 Enfield. Since there seems to be no aftermarket bottom metal, one must be content with trying to dress up the existing mil-surp bottom metal.

I was thinking of using/installing a B-Square release button so as allow for opening the floor plate more easily. What do you think? Is the addition of that little button too cheesy or not?

Your thoughts are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

May the wind be in your face and the sun at your back.

P. Mark Stark

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
I tried one on a Mauser I put together. It works well enough but does take some getting used to.

As long as you think it of it a quick/cheap way of getting around the need to use a bullet to suppress the floorplate release button you're fine.

And for the price I have no complaints.

It ain't a terribly great looking mod though...

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Mark,
you can always get a smith to cut you one for a hindged floor plate...

the button style or "pin/plunger" style both look "okay".. not good, not great.. but okay

how often do you open one thata way? (real question, not SA one)

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of Enfields and was thinking about putting those little button thingies on until I handled one that had it installed. Maybe its just me but I found it just a bit too easy to pop the floor plate open...like WAY TOO EASY! Smiler

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
At a Syracuse gun show about a year ago I saw an Eddystone with a light metal magazine assembly with hinged floorplate with trigger guard release, seller said it was made by H&H. The rest of the rifle was pretty awful though.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I really appreciate your feedback.

You talked me out of it. Rick, in the back of my head, I was afraid that a button would make it too easy to open. This is project is going to be a .375 H&H, so, I don't want the floor plate flying open unexpectedly.

Jeffe, when I get this thing built, I am going to be applying for induction in the Band of Bubbas. Jeffe, do you still have that drop box magazine that you showed me last year, or, if not, do you know where I can get one?

I wish someone would come along and make some aftermarket bottom metal for Enfields.

Again, thanks.

May the wind be in your face and the sun at your back.

P. Mark Stark

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Mark,
I traded it off, but I should be able to get you drawings....

try this one
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.as...E+RELEASE+FOR+MAUSER

it's not as pretty as the button, but it is a fast release AND is at least as "hard" to push as the original, just an easier then to push on...

i like bringing them down pretty close to flush with the floorplate, still using a tool to make it go IN, but it's higher and easier

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote