Find
Notify
Tools

Question about Boyd Stocks
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Burke
posted
Does Boyds leave enough material on thier stocks to change the barrel contour?

I think the mistake a lot of us make is thinking the state-appointed shrink is our friend.
- Jack Handey
03C1033

Posts: 111 | Location: Western Ky | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would assume that this would depend allot on the style of stock and how radical a change in contour you are wanting to do. Most companies are more than happy to tell you what barrel contours can be used in their semi-inletted stocks, so calling them would probably be your best bet.

Posts: 466 | Location: South West USA | Registered: 11 December 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Burke,
these top-out, at least the normal mauser/springfield/enfield, about #4, due to wood thickness on the forearm. I talked to them prior to the "budget build" 550 express, as I wanted a CHEAP lam stock to get started (you CAN build a "577 in a bolt gun" for under 1k) .. they kind of laughed at my profile, and saide I should plan on getting one of the (PUKE) walking varmit stocks.

I used it for a basis pattern, and bondo'ed/shaped it up and duplicate...

so, again, about a #4, though most #5 could be put in that stock, but you are risking an ugly inlet., or the AB (i forgot the designation) 416 or 458 barrels (not the straight taper)...

oh, remember to buy DIRECTLY from them, not from midway... price is WAY cheaper... and look in their sales/bargin bin before you finalize your plan

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38612 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Burke
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. banana

I think the mistake a lot of us make is thinking the state-appointed shrink is our friend.
- Jack Handey
03C1033

Posts: 111 | Location: Western Ky | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have letted out the barrel channel on the JRS to fit a Ruger Varmint's barrel contour...

There normal barrel channel for their Ruger's are for a heavy magnum contour..

most others are for a Shaw barrel number one contour, which is like a Winchester Featherweight barrel....

cheers
seafire
cheers

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Burke
posted Hide Post
I spoke with a "technical advisor" at Boyds who informed me that you could remove as much as needed.

- Jack Handey
03C1033