Notify
Tools

Proper British round-eye sling swivel studs
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
Anyone have a source for these?

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16654 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used these before, somewhat similar.

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/...px/910/1/SWIVEL-POST

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Thanks friend. I hadn't thought of looking at Track.

– John Green, author

Posts: 16654 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
The TOTW sling eyes are markedly different to the British eyes for sling hooks Bill. I bought a handful but they don't realy convert over to the open eye very well. They are not quite large enough in dia of the head and the stem from the base the eye really is quite long and much more suited to the modern QD type of sling use.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2693 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Garry, thanks for the comparison photo. You are sure right.

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 427 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry I can't remember his name but someone here may know. A gentleman in Raton was making them- I bought a set from him several years ago. I think I got his name from Michael Tulowitki in Lakewood CO.

Posts: 1177 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
Give me the inside diameter of that hole and the outside diameter of the ring and I just might try making a few. For the original one, that is!

Need the width, or thickness, of the ring also.

Or lay it on a sheet of scaled graph paper and I can figure it out.

A photo of the hook would be great also, I have a stash of spring steel rod that would be ideal for the hooks.

Posts: 1469 | Location: Running With The Hounds | Registered: 28 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WoodHunter:
Give me the inside diameter of that hole and the outside diameter of the ring and I just might try making a few. For the original one, that is!

Need the width, or thickness, of the ring also.

Or lay it on a sheet of scaled graph paper and I can figure it out.

A photo of the hook would be great also, I have a stash of spring steel rod that would be ideal for the hooks.

The dia of the stop ferrul is .358. It is .055 thick at the outer edge and gently radiuses to .100 at the base of the eye which is .250 dia
The eye is .458 is OD with the hook hole being .230, The eye is .242 thick and the hook hole radiuses toward the outer edge where it is just .05 thick.
I would be in for a set of the hook is you make them Woodhunter. I will try to get the dimensions of them for you
Peter Dyson in has a modern made (scroll down to see.
https://www.peterdyson.co.uk/a...ELD_RIFLE_parts.html

Personally I like the Winchester style
You may be able to scale it from here
http://www.hallowellco.com/sling_eye.htm

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2693 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Woodhunter, don't just make a few. I'd bet there is a nice market out there.

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
checked NECG yet?

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Rich, I did first thing, and was disappointed.

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try Rick Mason, I think he is making them.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jim!

– John Green, author

one of us
posted Hide Post
One problem is on the guns I have owned over the years there seemed to a difference is sizes, I have now that is original Mauser that has a hole that fits a QD modern swivel and its old...I had an old .375 H&H Cogswell that had large holed hook sling on the barrel and it had a smaller one holed one one of the same design the butt stock..

I don't see why a good smith couldn't make a set..I suspect Jack Belk could, but probably would be hard to find one that wanted to.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Been reading over old threads, a wealth of information and ideas. I know I’m resurrecting an old thread but does anyone know of a source for the large eye sling swivels. I’d like to use a canvas sling I have with the leather thong attachment and need the large eyes.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have struggled with this very problem for a project that I'm working on. My solution was to order a pair of lanyard studs from Bowen Classic Arms since they match the style of the old sling studs.
http://parts.bowenclassicarms....ath=7&products_id=14

They sold me a pair without the rings and, though I haven't tackled that part of the project yet, I think they will work.

The "eye" itself will have to be opened-up on the mill and I will have to create a means of attachment so it's not a simple solution.

Posts: 990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Seems like someone would sell them. You can find a reproduction of most sites etc. but not the sling swivels?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
John McGlothin, Raton, NM 575-445-2363

posted Hide Post
Thanks I’ll give him a call

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I made this last night, I need one for a Mannlicher stock that I have being checkered now.
I used the measurements (or a close approximate) of the ones Von Gruff listed.
Now I know why they are so expensive it is labor intensive it is still covered in oil when I took the photo it looks better dry.

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1511 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
John McGlothin has them got mine in 3days. Exact size 7/16” and shape as the ones Rigby used. He also has the 3/8” version as used on the old Winchester’s that used the hook sling attachment. That one you made looks good also.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I still need a set of sling hooks.

NRA life member
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1511 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you can round up a gentleman by the name of Stephen Coker he used to make a very elegant English style. I believe he was in Arkansas. His web site is no longer functioning. Maybe Mike Rowe knows of him, he posts on NE; all within the Fraser rifle community of enthusiasts.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rolland:
I still need a set of sling hooks.

Don’t know what your looking to pay but EBAY had two sets of the Winchester hooks sell this week one set $38.00 and one $64.00, which is about a third of the last ones I’ve seen. They sell for crazy amounts sometimes. You can put a search in on eBay and everytime some come up for sale you get notified or possibly you could trade some two ply toilet paper for a set, but they’d have to throw in some cash to make it fair.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well I have the toilet paper its in the bathroom just have to go out back and get a couple of rolls. I'm just short on cash Roll Eyes

NRA life member
NRA Golden Eagles member