Find
Notify
Tools

Savage Axis .270
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hello
I picked up a Savage Axis rifle combo with the 3x9 Bushnell scope in .270 Win cal. for my daughter. She’s starting to like deer hunting. I heard these rifles have descent accuracy out of the box.

Well I finally got to take it out for a shoot. I got some Rem 130gr CoreLokt’s to start off with. At 150 yards off the bench, the best 3-shot group I could come up with is 4”.. Hmm.

Now I realize that this is its first time at bat, and could possibly shoot other factory ammo better, but.. I’ve never seen a .270 shoot that bad with anything..

I don’t understand the philosophy behind these ‘entry level’ rifles… the idea of taking a barreled action and putting that into a plastic stock and tightening the screws. I always understood an action needs to be ‘bedded’ tightly into the stock either by glass or good metal to wood fit.

Is there anything that is commonly done with these rifles to improve accuracy?
Would it benefit from a real wood stock and glass bedding?

I won’t have time to do any tuning with it until after deer season. Maybe some handloads will improve things.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Posts: 277 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 10 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
You can't really tell anything trying just one type of ammo. I built me and an old friend identical 270's years ago. Both of these rifles were easily sub MOA shooters but his preferred bullets in the 150 gr. weight class and mine didn't like anything over 130 gr. Same exact components, but neither could stand the others loads. Try a couple more types. Try some 150's.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes true.. I have just begun to play with it..

Just in case it doesn't behave, I was wondering if bedding would be the thing to look at next..

Thanks

Posts: 277 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 10 October 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
tear it down.. scope, mounts, and remove the gun from the action..

then put it back together...

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote