Notify
Tools

What size barrel band and front sight to buy
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ShortandFat
posted
To all those who have done this before

I have measured the spots I want to put a NECG ramped front sight band and sling barrel band on my new 458 barrel

Half inch from the tip of the barrel the measurement is .775

NECG have a ramped front sight band with an Internal Diameter of .768 and another at .787, so which one do I order

Where I want to put the barrel band for the sling measures in at .880

Brownells have talley bands measuring about .865 and another at .890 so which one should I order here

I'm only aski this because I'm not sure if I should be allowing a few thous for some sweating material under the bands

Thanx

regards
S&F

Posts: 463 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 26 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShortandFat:
Half inch from the tip of the barrel the measurement is .775

NECG have a ramped front sight band with an Internal Diameter of .768 and another at .787, so which one do I order

Where I want to put the barrel band for the sling measures in at .880

Brownells have talley bands measuring about .865 and another at .890 so which one should I order here

Buy as close to size as you can without going over and either stretch the band to size using a tapered mandrel (an old gun barrel), or, place it in the lathe, set the compound to the desired taper and bore it too size.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote