New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lapping rings....
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just had my first adventure with this little operation. What a pain in the arse!

But, I was astonished at the reduced contact ratio my Weaver, Burris, and Leupold rings prior to lapping. The Talleys were a different story, outstanding machine work and contact was over 80% out of the box.

The tool and compound was purchased from Brownell's and the procedure rather straight forward. No rocket science here just laborious. Now I know why gunsmiths charge what they do for this service!

I imagine many of you already do your own. I guess I never really appreciated the necessity for this operation when dealing with mass produced mid-range priced rings.

The lap tool is also a great alignment bar for the rotary dovetail-style base/rings. I was shocked at the misalignment on a friend's Burris scope/base/rings equipped 22-250. Having a scope mounted at a variety store by the same youngster that cuts new keys in the hardware department just ain't the way to go!

Yes, I now have appointments with several friends' rifles. Hmmm....

Gentlemen, lap 'em if ya got 'em!

~Holmes

Posts: 1171 | Location: Wyoming, USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
<338Lapua>
posted
You're right it is a HUGE pain and alot of work to lap scope rings, but the benefits are there. If nothing else, I have never had a scope come out with ring marks after lapping the rings.

Good luck on the rest of your rifles.

Jim

<Bruce Gordon>
posted
Buy the Burris rings that have inserts and you will never have to lap or worry about misalignment again. They also seem to have the added benefit of clamping the scope without sliding under recoil better than some of the other rings.